Like Tree16Likes

Hong Kong promotion .... China will be proud

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hong Kong promotion .... China will be proud

From SCMP today :

A fresh bid to take charge of Hong Kong’s image and hit back at “incorrect information” in overseas media is to be launched as the city looks to promote itself to emerging markets in central Asia, Muslim countries and Africa, the new commerce chief has revealed.

That is very similar to what China is betting on. Spoke with a number of Chinese friends recently who have factories in Vietnam, Africa etc who all insisted that China is wonderful and well organised when compared to these countries and how happy they always were to get back to China. The basic approach seems to be ... get involved with less organised and less democratic countries to highlight to your own population how glad they should be living in China.

Hong Kong taking yet another step to becoming a second tier city in China.... wonder what is next?

ndt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    The basic approach seems to be ... get involved with less organised and less democratic countries to highlight to your own population how glad they should be living in China.
    China was, within living memory, essentially the poorest country in the world - and many within China are actually quite glad that this is no longer the case

1 whiff of the 7 day hotel quarantine and those less organised and less democratic countries will be laughing in the great motherland's face

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    China was, within living memory, essentially the poorest country in the world - and many within China are actually quite glad that this is no longer the case
    Yes the mess created in the 60's and 70's was immense and so was the recovery
    hullexile, Sage and Anahan like this.

Hong Kong taking yet another step to becoming a second tier city in China.... wonder what is next?
    I don't know what is next for HK but I know what should be next for us. Time to build a rehab centre for those having withdrawal symptoms for old HK .

On a personal note, I have taken China off my mob protection list. The world is v used to big instant reaction to their issues because long ago when China wasn't as open and few PRCs outside, we only heard horror stories about how CCP treated the ppl and saw photos of thin, starving imprisoned individuals. So we were v generous with our outrage and criticisms, pure mob protection trying to call out the bully and save the bullied. Things have changed but the world forgot to reset their settings. We still instinctively run to their rescue at the slightest hint of deprivation - even when ppl involved are not impoverished slaves and doing quite well, probably better than the ones trying to help. Don't have to go S.E. Asia to speak to one - they are everywhere. They are no longer victims and don't need my mob protection. Tibet, Xinjiang everything. Their issues now rank same as every other country. Next time I read about someone resisting extradition to China, unless it can be done without much backlash, I say just send them back. It's not a tit-for-tat thing, that's exactly what we do when it is any other country. The rest of the world was never in a good position to do something anyway. We tried and we've achieved absolutely nothing after so long. The Chinese are now the ones who can do something and if they've done nothing so far, then the problem isn't a CCP one. It is a Chinese one. I mean, we don't refer to the guns issue as a U.S. govt problem, we just say U.S. has a problem.

HK isn't the same as when I moved here but it'll be ok and chug along fine just like BJ and Shanghai. What made it different will only be missed by a few so can't do nothing but rehab :P

Pls note my China here includes Macau and HK. Not including TW. I go with the old nationalists' view, China belongs to TW and is currently a self-governing province of TW. Everyone is free to claim their own, why not

Here we are again with another HSY post without any basis in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HSY:
    On a personal note, I have taken China off my mob protection list. The world is v used to big instant reaction to their issues because long ago when China wasn't as open and few PRCs outside, we only heard horror stories about how CCP treated the ppl and saw photos of thin, starving imprisoned individuals.
    What do you mean "long ago"? The stories of starved and imprisoned people during the Shanghai lockdown are literally of a month and a half ago.

even when ppl involved are not impoverished slaves and doing quite well, probably better than the ones trying to help.
    China outside of the bigger cities is still quite impoverished when compared to developed countries.

Next time I read about someone resisting extradition to China, unless it can be done without much backlash, I say just send them back. It's not a tit-for-tat thing, that's exactly what we do when it is any other country.
    Please explain why you seem to think China has suddenly rule of law and separation of powers.

You seem to not understand or know anything factual about China, why the need to give overly long posts the whole time about something you have difficulties grasping?
    Insomnia, TheBrit and William06 like this.

That is very similar to what China is betting on. Spoke with a number of Chinese friends recently who have factories in Vietnam, Africa etc who all insisted that China is wonderful and well organised when compared to these countries and how happy they always were to get back to China.
    As much as i hate to admit, this is true and there seems to be a growing sentiment among new Asian tigers (or emerging cubs, if you will) to align its interest with China, either by being part of B&R initiative (no matter its debt-trap or whatever, does bring infrastructure and future prospects), making China friendly policies for FDI, relying on Chinese tourists and so on.. Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Singapore, Malaysia (slightly sour lately with Forest City failure but will come back) and the list goes on.. Trivia, even many independent financial bloggers i have come across are all overweight on China for future growth.

Lately i have been thinking no matter what we keep repeating in our echo chamber, China is obviously realigning its interest globally and keeping SE-Asia emerging cubs on its one side and wooing rich middle east countries on the other side is not too bad after all, Europe is anyway hanging in middle tlting towards China, Cant say much about Africa but who knows Central Asia may become tomorrow's emerging cubs.. Plus 21st Century belongs to Asia and its growth engine etc...

Hmm. Luckily this is not a Covid thread so won't be going off-topic. Gatts, I can respond to you exactly on those points but we are actually arguing about diff things so it will be pointless if I try to respond point for point.

I have taken it off my list but everyone is free to go ahead with what they want to do. I don't think China suddenly has rule of law or separation of power like what other countries want it to have. They never had it but that's not my problem and my personal cause. I also have different standards for imprisoned and improverished as you but you can continue feeling very outraged. I'm not trying to stop anyone from helping China. but why the reaction, are you unhappy that I'm downgrading my help level for China?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    China outside of the bigger cities is still quite impoverished when compared to developed countries.
    Right. So poverty/income gap is still an issue in China. As is the case in a lot of other countries. I don't really think our bottomlines are completely opposite to each other but I don't really see what your end goal is. You appear to be critical of China and I'm clearly critical of China as well but you seem most enthusiastic only when arguing against ppl on the same side and not actually against ppl with opposing views. If it's just pointing out my facts are wrong, then ok they're wrong to you. That's what a forum is for but your end game is not unclear. I don't think you are pro-dem at all or even neutral. Based on your behaviour towards me, I believe the only explanation is you are actually working for China and a hired gun and aiming to distract naysayers of China with arguments within the "same faction". The only other is yes you think I'm an idiot and don't care about common causes and just want to fight. Also ok with me, diversity is life

On a lighter note which I know will be of no use in because I expect a point-for-point correction response about everything I've written - you need to lighten up. If you don't know why you're so excited esp only about posts from ppl that are actually advocating against CCP, same as you put yourself out to be and you are also very sure you are not a hired gun of CCP, that's exactly why the rehab centre is needed. When its up, we can all go drown our sorrows there and whine unrestrained about the fact HK is now part of China and that's not a damn thing we can do about it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast