Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By East_coast
  • 1 Post By bdw
  • 1 Post By Firemin

Micro Mobility + Mixed Mode Commuting

Closed Thread

Micro Mobility + Mixed Mode Commuting

I'm planning a project to make some kind of folding micro mobility device to travel to, and on, public transit services like the MTR or KMB Buses. So far, this is targeted to those living in the new territories / outlying islands, where I'm aiming more towards a bicycle or kick scooter. If possible, I would like your opinions on this, as well as what kind of product you'd like to see / have any problems to address.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KKMn01:
    I'm planning a project to make some kind of folding micro mobility device to travel to, and on, public transit services like the MTR or KMB Buses. So far, this is targeted to those living in the new territories / outlying islands, where I'm aiming more towards a bicycle or kick scooter. If possible, I would like your opinions on this, as well as what kind of product you'd like to see / have any problems to address.
    Thanks!
    The Government won't allow it.

Aren't electric scooters and bicycles illegal in Hong Kong?

This gweilo does it around Shanghai. But Hong Kong?

https://youtu.be/_AQJSyQnboM

KKMn01 likes this.

If you read the signs on the buses, if you carry a fold up bicycle (not sure about scooter) then it has to be fully enclosed in a case/cover...

Saying that, I have carried my Brompton on buses (and even green minibuses) in its folded state without any issues (other than finding somewhere to put it on the GMB)...

KKMn01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KKMn01:
    Thanks!
    Isn't the simplest way just to get the local franchise for an existing large scale service? Try these below

https://www.bird.co/us-fm/

A few years ago HK would have looked to use the best in the world. Now it's hard to imagine licenses being given to foreign businesses.

The problems you face
    LAND - MTR will not give up premium space for scooter storage
    LAND - KMB have no access to land
    LAND - There is plenty of 'dead' public space that could be used but HK Gov will not release it
    LAND - Cost for a workshop
    Laws - They are illegal - you need to make them legal on Cycle paths
    Laws - 27 years since the last change in cycle lane laws
    Laws - Cycling helmets are soon due to be mandatory
    Laws - Payment and credit services
    Monopolies - The government carves these out with franchises. Hard to see you being given a way to challenge the GMB license holders
    Enforcement - You may need scuba gear to retrieve them from river bottoms after what seem like co-ordinated 'dumping'

Unless you get an incumbent transport provider to offer up finance and the MTR to offer up space to store them for first / last mile journeys (they wont be needed in the CBD or commercial centres) can't see any hope.

Name:  bike_sharing_rome.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  66.1 KB
    Last edited by East_coast; 24-10-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    shri and KKMn01 like this.

I have heard and seen a lot of videos about the Brompton models recently, based on your experiences could I know how you would rate or feel about it? somethings such as during and post riding experiences you feel is great or could be improved?