Tamilflu

Closed Thread

Tamilflu

Hi all,

Does anyone have any experience ordering Tamiflu in HK online or know of a way to buy locally without already being deathly ill? We'd just like to have some in the home just in case. tia

Why? It has only a very marginal effect at best on the duration of any symptoms, and has a number of possible complications, some of them fatal. Is it worth risking them for reducing the duration of your flu symptoms from, say, 10 days to 8 days?

A more detailed analysis here.

Last edited by PDLM; 15-12-2008 at 03:04 PM.

"Why?"

A lack of better options, unfortunately. I'm not worried about seasonal flu here. This would be for pandemic use only. The literature I've found suggests that taking Tamiflu (aka Oseltamivir - I'll happily buy the generic, too) or any of the other neuraminidase inhibitors is probably the best treatment prior to the initiation of cytokine storms unleashed by H5N1 infection -- meaning treatment has to be started fairly quickly after infection or suspected infection (hence my desire to keep some in the house).

Thanks for the info, though. Yes, I am aware of the potential side effects.

Anyone else have any experience purchasing this in HK?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I believe it's still tightly restricted (i.e. prescription needed and only available in limited quantities), despite its lack of effectiveness, rising resistance levels, side effects and government stockpiles. I'm sure that once the government sees the light or admits it doesn't work, it will make it freely available or ban it altogether.

Hong Kong is full of "dodgy chemists" who will sell you any non recreational drug for a price (most are reasonable prices). I know of 2 in my area, but I wont advertise them; this is not "legal".
    One can buy anti-biotics as well as strong pain killers (Codine and others) as well as Tamiflu with no perscriptions.

Your best bet is to walk around and ask. Find any hole-in-the wall looking chemist and ask. Many will be quite helpful.

Make sure you do your homework and understand what you are taking and all its side effects. Also, to reiterate the point, this is not legal - having said that, I have not come across anyone that has been charged/fined for doing this.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by Mourad88:
    "Why?"

A lack of better options, unfortunately. I'm not worried about seasonal flu here. This would be for pandemic use only. The literature I've found suggests that taking Tamiflu (aka Oseltamivir - I'll happily buy the generic, too) or any of the other neuraminidase inhibitors is probably the best treatment prior to the initiation of cytokine storms unleashed by H5N1 infection -- meaning treatment has to be started fairly quickly after infection or suspected infection (hence my desire to keep some in the house).

Thanks for the info, though. Yes, I am aware of the potential side effects.

Anyone else have any experience purchasing this in HK?

not paranoid by anychance??

If I thought this stuff worked, I would be stockpiling it too!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    If I thought this stuff worked, I would be stockpiling it too!
    ah you big girl

Yep - absolutely right there! (And no doubt even bigger after Xmas!)