Like Tree21Likes

What's the scam?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What's the scam?

I got this WhatsApp message from a Mexican number. I'm pretty sure it's a scam, but what is it? Would I need to pass on my bank account details, or download an app which then takes my personal data, or what? Also, while I have a LinkedIn profile, I do not use the other two sites listed.

Hi there, we've taken notice of your work experiences and resume listed on multiple online agencies such as LinkedIn, JobsDB & HK Indeed. We're keen to offer you something on a part time basis that you could do in your free time. The daily wage could go as high as up to HKD1000-3000/day. Not only this but we will settle all wages on the day itself. If your keen to take up the offer, please click the link below for more information. If your using an android device reply "1" to subscribe.

I think some company has had a data breach with a list of their English speaking clients / customers. Many people I know have received this message, or variants thereof, often from a foreign number.

I decided to bite to understand more about it. Basically they ask you to like/comment on Youtube and Instagram videos and FPS you $50 per task. Eventually they ask you for money to "upgrade" your account. I blocked them when they asked for that.

It seems to be a mix of two scams:
    - creating fake engagement on social media accounts which are then monetised as influencer accounts.
    - some kind of advance fee scam

drumbrake, shri, hullexile and 2 others like this.

I got this a couple weeks ago

Your VIP ID:VXIO02S6
    Hi, I am an official direct recruiter of Capgemini, by reviewing your resume, here is a perfect job for you, if you are interested, please contact our manager by clicking the Whatsapp link, thanks!

I think that they’re targeting random numbers. Those to target you, often address you by name when they’re telephoning you. In my case, telecom for the usual subscriptions.

I have received a similar text too. Just blocked and deleted as usual. That was before a few tv stations broadcast about how others were scammed $ by convincing there’s easy $ to be earned.

Have been getting a msg every day. Even got a call yesterday.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...ck-to-WhatsApp

From the Standard article:

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    An Office of Communications Authority spokeswoman said instant messaging tools such as WhatsApp are different from SMS so it is not regulated as a telecommunication service.
    Perhaps that office should update their regulations ...?

According to this:https://cyberdefender.hk/en-us/online_employment_fraud/

That is: Recruiting "Order Handler" scam/Popular "Boosting Sales" Scam

The employees are instructed to purchase products from specific online merchants to boost sales. By adding items to the shopping cart together with screen captures as proof, and transferring the deposit to a designated bank account, a commission can then be earned. During the first few attempts, the employees may get a full refund together with commissions. Yet, upon purchasing more expensive products, the scammers will make up reasons and refuse to refund, and lure the victims to go for a larger purchase to get the full amount back. As such, the employees may eventually incur losses.

Quote Originally Posted by bobobo:
    The employees are instructed to purchase products from specific online merchants to boost sales. By adding items to the shopping cart together with screen captures as proof, and transferring the deposit to a designated bank account, a commission can then be earned. During the first few attempts, the employees may get a full refund together with commissions. Yet, upon purchasing more expensive products, the scammers will make up reasons and refuse to refund, and lure the victims to go for a larger purchase to get the full amount back. As such, the employees may eventually incur losses.
    A child of a friend got caught in a similar one. They were contacted on whatsapp for a 'survey' and paid $30 by FPS. Then transferred to Telegram and given a few simple 'tasks' like following influencers on instagram. Amounts from 50 - 150 were transferred to their debit card. Then they had to transfer $200 to someone and create an account at what looked like an online brokerage, where 200 was credited to their account. Press some buttons, under guidance of a 'teacher', wait 5 mins and then transfer out around $300. By this time they were about $600 up and thinking it was easy payday.

The next 'prepaid' task required $800 upfront, then another $800 for a 'group task' which they couldn't cover - so she lost the prepaid amount and ended up about even. If she had been able to cover that I assume the next task would have wanted more up front and they'd have been out of pocket.

The telegram group was full of people talking about paying and making 10,000 or 20,000 at a time but whether they were part of the scam or just bigger losers.....

So I am getting these requests multiple times a week now. I get the initial sum from them.. then block them fuckers! Bahahahaha

i am up about HKD 1K! It’s all shit and giggles.. I just don’t understand why someone will fall for it..

Don’t hustle a hustler

I partiicpated in this just to try it out. Here's what the scam made you do:

They pretend to be a 'marketing company' and ask you to 'like' YouTube videos/instragram posts and screenshot for evidence for about HK$48-$68 every hour or so. Then after a few hours, they ask you to put in an amount of money (up to XXX,XXX) into an investment pool and then they double the money thru a fake brokerage website.

They put you on a fake telegram list where a bunch of fake people say how great it is and how much money it is (I know they are fake because I tried to contact them and they responded in their broken English how great it is. All the same type of response...).

I did this for a day and when they asked me to invest money, I said maybe later. They eventually stop contacting you if you dont participate in their investment pool scam...

I receive one of these scan emails by Whatrapp every month or so. Always a pretty girl profile pic asking if I want a part time job or if I want to retire rich....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast