Like Tree74Likes

Red meat and dairy

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    Nice. I regularly lift and do steady state cardio first thing in morning. I noticed the same thing after a few weeks of eating less red meat and dairy. BP went from 129/82 to 121/74, I'm 39. I didn't change anything else regarding my sleep, diet or exercise.

If anyone is interested in improving mood, I've been following Huberman's morning routine, sunlight for the eyes first thing and drink a little pink salt in water for electrolytes. 30mins steady state cardio and a cold shower and my energy and hunger levels are great for the rest of the day.
    Great exercise habits but the pink salt is almost entirely sodium. It's also almost entirely mined in Pakistan. Heck of a hustle.

The sunlight in the AM is great for you. Gets rid of some of your residual melatonin.

Also the cold shower thing can actually be pretty bad for you iirc. Too lazy to do the research right now though
    Last edited by jayinhongkong; 26-03-2023 at 01:44 PM.
    periphery831 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Great exercise habits but the pink salt is almost entirely sodium. It's also almost entirely mined in Pakistan. Heck of a hustle.

Also the cold shower thing can actually be pretty bad for you iirc. Too lazy to do the research right now though ������
    Any salt will do. XD

First I've heard cold showers are bad for you. Pray, tell?
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Pretty balanced overview of some of the research out there:

https://www.health.com/cold-plunging-safety-6950787

I used to do the cold shower thing but now I know it can mess with my gainz

periphery831 likes this.

Pretty balanced overview of some of the research out there:

https://www.health.com/cold-plunging-safety-6950787

I used to do the cold shower thing but now I know it can mess with my gainz
    There is a difference between plunging in ice cold water and a cold shower surely? Depends how cold the cold shower is of course. (We haven't turned our hot water tank on for years, probably doesn't work anymore).
    periphery831 likes this.

Agree with @hullexile, being sprayed with cold water for 5-10 minutes is a bit different from being immersed in ice cold water.

Oh yeah, it's definitely temperature dependent. But if it is cold enough to make you hyperventilate and your BP to rise, then it's likely going to result in some of the same effects. Research needed

I've been vegan for just short of two years.
    Abstinence always seems such a very extreme response. A little red meat doesn't seem to be that unhealthy.

Conversely if it is for humane reasons of protecting beings then
    Insecticides kill 3.5 quadrillion animals a year in the USA. 16% of which are in the production of cotton.
    30 millions cattle are slaughtered each.

https://www.wildanimalinitiative.org...20new%20report.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Abstinence always seems such a very extreme response. A little red meat doesn't seem to be that unhealthy.

Conversely if it is for humane reasons of protecting beings then
    Insecticides kill 3.5 quadrillion animals a year in the USA. 16% of which are in the production of cotton.
    30 millions cattle are slaughtered each.

https://www.wildanimalinitiative.org...20new%20report.
    Do you smoke? Abstinence always seems such a very extreme response. The occasional cigarette doesn't seem to be that unhealthy.

I simply can't be part of the commodification of mammals anymore.

Insects aren't sentient, and there's no way around insect deaths with modern agricultural practices. But the sheer amount of soy needed to feed cattle means a lot more insect and mammal deaths. Meat and dairy production is incredibly inefficient per gram of protein. Let alone the deforestation and loss of tribal land that comes with them. The volume of fresh water needed to produce red meat is enormous too, and then there's the emissions and waste.

Red meat is strongly linked to cancer, and the heme iron in it is strongly linked to heart disease. I have no cholesterol in my diet!

Do you smoke? Abstinence always seems such a very extreme response. The occasional cigarette doesn't seem to be that unhealthy.
    Estimates suggest smoking causes 87% of lung cancer while eating processed and read meat account for 3% of cancers. If you take the processed element out then you are left with a false equivalence.

I simply can't be part of the commodification of mammals anymore.

Insects may be sentient and there are ways around insect deaths with modern agricultural practices
    Corrected it for you

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0al.%2C%202013).

Meat and dairy production is incredibly inefficient per gram of protein. Let alone the deforestation and loss of tribal land that comes with them. The volume of fresh water needed to produce red meat is enormous too, and then there's the emissions and waste.
    Abstinence by a few (no matter how much they 'preach') has had negligible impact on the the rise of meat consumption.

Name:  _105471773_production-nc.png
Views: 122
Size:  315.4 KB

Red meat is strongly linked to very very low rates cancer
    Corrected it for you.
    UniqueUserName likes this.

Processed meat, alcohol, and tobacco all classified as type 1 carcinogen. Makes me laugh to see some of the responses. In the end, regardless of what we eat or what we do, we have no idea whether it will have an effect on our own longevity or quality of life. Anyone can be hit by a bus, have a congenital malformation or get a freak disease regardless of our habits. I see supposed environmentalists rave about their plant-based diet but flying to go on holidays a few times a year. How many times I've heard drinkers trying to justify their habit with the "good for the heart" study or the chocolate addict going on about the merits of chocolate. Carbs are bad, fats are bad, sugar is bad, GMO food is bad... Eat organic... Live in the countryside, less stress and pollution...What's the flavor this week?

Bottom line is that people should do what makes them feel good and happy, let other people be, and avoid lecturing others about what might or might not be best for them. Most of this is common sense and most things in moderation are not that likely to cause our demise. In the end, no one knows how and when they are going to die unless they do the job themselves.

UniqueUserName likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast