Like Tree55Likes

Have things become expensive in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Have things become expensive in Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't know anyone who moved to Hong Kong thinking it would be cheap. Anyone here?
    Used to be apart from property prices and rentals.

I’ve been back 5 months now and it’s certainly a lot more expensive than day 3-4 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:

I’ve been back 5 months now and it’s certainly a lot more expensive than day 3-4 years ago
    I guess it depends where you are moving from

I remember the shock of booze and eating out prices compared to Hull and the north of England. I remember a colleague from Leeds buying a round of drinks and almost having a heart attack.
    Last edited by hullexile; 21-04-2023 at 10:12 AM.

Wait, someone from Yorkshire bought a round of drinks?

It is expensive.. even regular groceries at the wet market and lots of other odds and ends.

Pulling this out .. might be a stand alone discussion not related to all the UK discussions..
    Cornmeal likes this.

Hasn't it always been expensive?

PKS_2000 and jabalong like this.

My main concern has been the increasing cost of groceries here. I understand why the cost of supermarket stuff went up, what with the price of container shipping increasing something like 500% during Covid but I haven't seen prices of coffee/ pet food/ cheese/ cereal/ whatever start coming down yet despite about a year of shipping prices coming down again.
    Then there are floods, droughts, wars and suchlike playing havoc with supplies of fruit, veg and grains.

Prices won't crash as fast as they rise. In business we also do this where possible.

Quote Originally Posted by seirin:
    Hasn't it always been expensive?
    No, things are rapidly changing lately and IMO multiple round of consumer vouchers have big role to play there, current round was totally unnecessary and my simple conspiracy theory is it is purposely done to mask the planned price increases across transport and other sectors, let tycoon controlled supermarkets increase profit margin and so on.. City wide raining money from the sky makes zero sense when we are already out of Covid, at the most more targeted approach towards needy would have been sufficient..
    aw451, BCD and Cornmeal like this.

That is world-wide, not a HK phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by mpbk:
    That is world-wide, not a HK phenomenon.
    Agreed with this point. If you want to talk about inflation, go to NZ. Where your wage has gone backwards, and the cost of a coffee and avocado toast has almost increased by 30-40% these last 2-3 years alone.

HK costs went up for sure, but I can tell you not at the scale of other countries. Also the low tax rate helps out a lot here, where as other countries continue to tax everybody left-right-centre. I

In Canada, you get taxed on your income you earn. You also have to put aside some deductions like RRSP's to reduce your tax liability, then pay CPP deductions, then pay EI deductions. Whatever you are left with, you go to a grocery store to buy a loaf of bread which has now gone up by at least 15-20% in cost.....and at checkout, they tax you again on that loaf of bread (GST, PST, HST - depending on your province). You are essentially hit with double-tax.

Oh and all that tax money you've been paying for.... it's going towards infrastructure building (which horribly maintained and built), the public school system (which is 'free' if you have kids), health care (which still requires you to have a huge wait time to get treated in the emergency room), and the poor people who prefer to sleep on the street or choose not to work.
    Beanieskis likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast