Acne / Dermatologist

Closed Thread

Acne / Dermatologist

I've been between HK and the UK, and acne for me is a moderate but still significant problem. I have clear skin for less than a month a year, and unfortunately I'm never consistent enough to see what really works/doesn't. By that, I mean I tried Clean &Clear for about 3 months (not great not bad), Proactiv for 2 months (not great not bad), etc etc.

I'm sick and think I need to see my first dermatologist. I'm thinking I'm going to be ripped off somehow, but I guess you gotta pay for what you want sometimes. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Confused,
    AB86

I use a 2% salicylic acid face wash. I get mine from Proactiv: It is not the regular Renewing Cleanser, which contains benzyl peroxide, it's called the Deep Cleansing Wash. Works better for me than anything else, including antibiotics!

can you give me a run down of everything you use/do? i might not be washing my face properly either...

i've tried proactiv for 2 months, and the results were mixed and i've gone off and am trying some (other) ripoff stuff. maybe should go back to proactiv, or maybe some over the counter stuff. sigh, and its holiday season too.

i'm beginning to get desperate and want to see a derm. but i'm afraid of being ripped off and/or prescribed something that won't work.

Try salicylic acid. You can buy a wash that contains it at Watson's/Mannings. Use it twice a day and don't rub it in too hard. Don't use anything else. If it doesn't work for you, then definitely go see a dermatologist.

Another thing that might work is zinc pyrithone. I'm trying to find a soap bar that contains it, but I haven't found a substitute for the ZNP Bars I get from the US.

Hey

Hi ive pretty much tried all that and here's from experience

Proactiv (works great for a few months but then it stops working altogether and acne starts coming back = useless)

Salicylic acid (Used it for A LONG TIME, sometimes works and sometimes makes it worse.....and yes i gave it time, didnt pick or nothing??)

BP: I reckon the best topical treatment, there's 2.5% 5% 10% i tried them all. 2.5% is your best bet the others dry your face too much

Rectin A: MAkes your face Real bad the first few weeks, then heals up abit but pretty useless. (i went to the toilets with the lights off to avoid lookin at my face, it made it REAL BAD)

Minocycline: Tablets didnt work for me used it for half a year

Proaccutane: OK i was scared of the horror stories from the internet but hell decided to try it. Used 20mg for 5months and it worked wonders. Around the 3rd month my face was abit red from the dryness but no acne (NONE) and scars healed. After i stopped using it the effects lasted around 9-10months. The redness disappears after u stop using it and i was clear for ages.

Now i just use the BIORE facial cleanser and no topical creams or moisturizer and im pretty much clear. The thing is the topical creams dry the acne and if the whiteheads fall off ya left with a scar occassionly. Ya best bet is to jus use a cleanser and nothing else, that has been working for me for the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WeakAsHell:
    Hi ive pretty much tried all that and here's from experience

Proactiv (works great for a few months but then it stops working altogether and acne starts coming back = useless)

Salicylic acid (Used it for A LONG TIME, sometimes works and sometimes makes it worse.....and yes i gave it time, didnt pick or nothing??)

BP: I reckon the best topical treatment, there's 2.5% 5% 10% i tried them all. 2.5% is your best bet the others dry your face too much

Now i just use the BIORE facial cleanser and no topical creams or moisturizer and im pretty much clear. The thing is the topical creams dry the acne and if the whiteheads fall off ya left with a scar occassionly. Ya best bet is to jus use a cleanser and nothing else, that has been working for me for the past few years.
    Proactiv contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. It works great for me, but the salicylic acid face wash works even better.

I actually started off using Biore and 10% bp. The Biore was good, but the OXY burned my skin. You have to be careful with bp and salicylic acid or it will burn you.

I and tried many methods, the most recommendable, useful, reliable method is

Retinol Pills

Retinol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know that there are cream and pills. Doctors dont suggest using pills at first, considering that I am female (side effect of this product is it is not good for pregnancy). My friend used cream but the effect is less distinctive and good as taking pills.

My personal experience is, the treatment makes less acnes, dry but smooth and poreless skin.

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor.
    Doctor FANG, HING SANG FRANK charges reasonably.
    香港中環皇后大道中58號振邦大廈305室 . 305 PETER BUILDING, 58 QUEEN'S ROAD CENTRAL, HONG KONG.
    香港大學內外全科醫學士. MB BS HK. 1974. FRCS Edin. MCh Orth Lpool. M 0 4 6 7 8

I am a big fan of fish oil for many reasons (and I regularly bore people to death with just how great it is) one of its benefits helping to improve skin conditions, obviously I don't know how bad your condition is, but you may want to give it a shot - you'll need it in quite high doses (at least 12grammes a day). I take between 12-18grammes a day - not specifically to treat any skin condition, but i have noticed that my skin is generally healthier looking.

Everyone should have fish oil in their diet anyway, so give it a go...fix it from the inside!

Thanks guys...

Thanks for sharing your ideas... well at the moment I'm an month into ZenMed:

Acne Treatment System, The ZENMED® Derma Cleanse System

They have a few things which you guys mentioned--
    1. a cleanser
    2. an acne gel w/ 2% salicylic acid
    3. pills
    with lots of "herbal" stuff thrown in the mix...

I also added their sebum regulating moisturizer, which in theory sounds good. Acids do dry out my skin (though I need them), but I also understand that causes more oils to be produced. So hopefully

I'll definitely give fish oils a try...but probably after this stuff.

Thanks all