Like Tree122Likes

Why did you move to Hong Kong and When?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

as to why, because I can…
    AO

Quote Originally Posted by PBPBPBPB:
    Symptomatic of the changes here, though, is that all eight of our children, nephews and nieces have chosen to leave HK.
    Great story. Out of interest, re your family who have left: do they speak/read/write Chinese?

Ha, no! But our elder child is fluent in Japanese. Our six nephews/nieces are Cantonese, from HK, and English is their second language.

Great thread! If it isn't too late to add...

I worked in HK for two years in 1981-82, met my future wife, came back to marry in 1983, and spent thirty years visiting HK every two-three years with the children; we all dreamed of living here. Retired from forty years in the UK to teach business and business English in China for a couple of years, whilst my wife got a job teaching at HKU. Joined my wife in HK where we teach part-time: teaching is our 'golf', particularly courses of my own creation. Been all over China; then, after the virus, visas became troublesome.

We also own a place in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia My 2nd Home scheme), where we avoid the colder months in HK. Large, heated indoor saltwater pool, curries, green and open space. So easy to do nothing and enjoy doing nothing. KL is a cheese and sourdough heaven compared with HK; however, forget about booze!

But in HK everything just 'works', you are dead safe, and we always enjoy being back. Symptomatic of the changes here, though, is that all eight of our children, nephews and nieces have chosen to leave HK.
    Brilliant story.

Any particular areas you recommended for a retirement property in KL?

Thank you. Penang is said to be good for expats. Mont Kiara in KL was good, but over the last ten years it has become overbuilt and traffic choked.

The terms for the Malaysia My 2nd Home visa are now so expensive for new applicants that people may as well consider Singapore. It's now known within the MM2H community as the Multi Millionaires' 2nd Home...

Thank you. Penang is said to be good for expats. Mont Kiara in KL was good, but over the last ten years it has become overbuilt and traffic choked.

The terms for the Malaysia My 2nd Home visa are now so expensive for new applicants that people may as well consider Singapore. It's now known within the MM2H community as the Multi Millionaires' 2nd Home...
    The latest re-revision of MM2H looks more sensible and reasonable priced, seems it will be implemented soon.. Also competition with Sarawak/Sabah MM2H gives multiple choices..

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing the revised-revised-terms. The lesson is, amongst the long-standing MM2H community, that you cannot trust the Malay Govt not to pull the rug out from under your feet.

Sorry for drifting away from the main subject.

Came out in 2008 for an initial 3 month secondment, that turned into 5 months but then the shit hit the fan in the financial world so there was no scope to extend. Went home and did four more years with the same company. Was determined to leave the island before i turned 30 and told my employer i was going to try and find another job in Hong Kong, this was in 2011. They told me to wait a few months and eventually they got me another position with the HK office. Arrived in Jan 2012 5 months before my 30th so mission accomplished.

Why? I enjoyed the first stint and was bored of island life.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5