Like Tree70Likes

Who gets a laisee and how much?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    Call me tight but street cleaners and refuse workers are the ONLY people I give to. The most under appreciated people that do a fantastic job and most, in my area, with a cheery smile and greeting whenever I pass (all year round).
    Same same

I personally don't get involved. If I had a local wife then I suppose I'd have to, but don't see the point otherwise.

Locals don't expect foreigners to get involved anyway, apart from wishing them happy holidays.

SonicYouth1 and Mary 2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paddylast:
    I personally don't get involved. If I had a local wife then I suppose I'd have to, but don't see the point otherwise.

Locals don't expect foreigners to get involved anyway, apart from wishing them happy holidays.
    I agree, it's kindof ridiculous when you visit people during these few days & you get a line of security guards at the entrance when usually they're nowhere to be seen.

What I would do is just have specific people I want to give red packets to, prepare them accordingly & that's it
    newhkpr and VillanElle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by paddylast:

They do in the bloody office! Virtually begging/demanding in some cases. Nowt from me.
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Office - forget about it. Too complicated.

Blue Collar people you see on a frequent basis - be generous. They deserve it. Security guards at your building, waiters at restaurants you go to often, barbers. You get the drift.

They work their arses off for not much money. Pay it forward.

MABinPengChau likes this.

I hope there’s no moaning and whining on this thread. If you don’t want to give, then don’t. But if you want to be generous and give 20hkd to min wage workers, I am sure they will appreciate it.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongmusic:
    Office - forget about it. Too complicated.

Blue Collar people you see on a frequent basis - be generous. They deserve it. Security guards at your building, waiters at restaurants you go to often, barbers. You get the drift.

They work their arses off for not much money. Pay it forward.
    The major people (security guards at flat and office) got HKD100, the two main building cleaners the same. Random street cleaners I regularly saw, HKD50. Haircut person, I forget, people don't do hair at LNY, I might have gone all "American-Style Christmas tip" on him with 200 HKD or so. Here in Taipei, an actual American does my hair, gave her NTD 1000 at Christmas (about $33 US) and tip her $10 US every time. So probably won't give Lai See. My building people- probably all get NTD 1000 this year.
    On Peng Chau there is a very small group of supermarket cashiers, maybe 6-7 different women, total, so gave them each HKD 20 because they got from everyone. Most very nice, one who was borderline hostile but, whatever.
    Was not sure if I could give to the ferry people, didn't see anyone do that so I didn't either. The lower the earner, the more I felt I would like to share.

Then for my once-a-week part-time cleaner in HK and here in Taiwan, I give one month of pay bonus and don't come for one time during LNY (which, of course, I pay for, I pay whether I need them or not, including when I went for trips to the US). As a result, I have had dedicated, reliable cleaners who never miss a day for any reason.

I mean, most expats are making, what, 100x, 200x what some blue collar worker in HK is making? Yes, this is the time to share the wealth.
    Elegiaque and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    The major people (security guards at flat and office) got HKD100, the two main building cleaners the same. Random street cleaners I regularly saw, HKD50. Haircut person, I forget, people don't do hair at LNY, I might have gone all "American-Style Christmas tip" on him with 200 HKD or so. Here in Taipei, an actual American does my hair, gave her NTD 1000 at Christmas (about $33 US) and tip her $10 US every time. So probably won't give Lai See. My building people- probably all get NTD 1000 this year.
    On Peng Chau there is a very small group of supermarket cashiers, maybe 6-7 different women, total, so gave them each HKD 20 because they got from everyone. Most very nice, one who was borderline hostile but, whatever.
    Was not sure if I could give to the ferry people, didn't see anyone do that so I didn't either. The lower the earner, the more I felt I would like to share.

Then for my once-a-week part-time cleaner in HK and here in Taiwan, I give one month of pay bonus and don't come for one time during LNY (which, of course, I pay for, I pay whether I need them or not, including when I went for trips to the US). As a result, I have had dedicated, reliable cleaners who never miss a day for any reason.

I mean, most expats are making, what, 100x, 200x what some blue collar worker in HK is making? Yes, this is the time to share the wealth.
    most expats are making 1-2million a month? I don’t think so
    newhkpr likes this.

Most people who would refer to themselves as expats probably are making a tonne more than their doorman that is true.

One CNY the other half went to a function and took a few lai see with him. When he returned he said that he didn't have enough lai see, everyone referred to him as 'boss' and expected a lai see. My response was "you don't have to give those people one". That was when I also realized that handing out lai see to security guards was a modern day aberration of the lai see protocols. The next CNY I prepared some $10 lai see, gave them to him with the instruction "don't give them out willy nilly". He returned with all intact.

BEWARE of the opportunistic lai see seeker!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ebi the shrimp; 10-02-2024 at 08:16 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast