Like Tree70Likes

Who gets a laisee and how much?

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    They do in the bloody office! Virtually begging/demanding in some cases. Nowt from me.
    I used to work on different hotels' tour desks, one of my ex-co-workers would habitually bring her daughter to solicity red packets from certain concierge members (in full view of our colleagues) with whom we would work closely. It wasn't really discreet in that you could tell that she was only there to offer fake pltitudes to obtain lai see which other colleagues wouldn't receive.
    She continued this even after she had left the company.

    Shameless. What a thing to teach your daughter.
    #begging

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Posts
    133

    i guess it is just how you feel it. why do youu need to ask others?


  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    More typos, came back to TW from HK with some kind of terrible flu (not covid), been sick and working from home all week, brain not functioning correctly...
    I can forgive the typos, and certainly agree with the sentiment to give something back to those who need it more than I do.

    That said, there are far more “expats” in HK in teaching and other jobs (myself included) who are earning closer to 40k/month than there are earning 200k.

    I am more than happy with my lot, and always do my best to give to those less fortunate. But not all of us can afford $100 to everyone we are grateful to.

    Would be nice if some of the expats earning 10x my salary would give a bit to us teachers for looking after their precious little ones haha

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    香港特别行政区
    Posts
    2,778
    Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I used to work on different hotels' tour desks, one of my ex-co-workers would habitually bring her daughter to solicity red packets from certain concierge members (in full view of our colleagues) with whom we would work closely. It wasn't really discreet in that you could tell that she was only there to offer fake pltitudes to obtain lai see which other colleagues wouldn't receive.
    She continued this even after she had left the company.

    Shameless. What a thing to teach your daughter.
    #begging
    Most parents keep their kids laisee and only some of them ringfence the money for the kid in later life [citation needed] but seems more or less correct.
    alexdown likes this.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I used to work on different hotels' tour desks, one of my ex-co-workers would habitually bring her daughter to solicity red packets from certain concierge members (in full view of our colleagues) with whom we would work closely. It wasn't really discreet in that you could tell that she was only there to offer fake pltitudes to obtain lai see which other colleagues wouldn't receive.
    She continued this even after she had left the company.

    Shameless. What a thing to teach your daughter.
    #begging
    It's just a tradition, relax. Keep a pack of 10dollars envelopes for this very purpose.

    Also, if you think this is shameless, wait until you learn about choi san dou!
    paddylast, Drunken Master and shri like this.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    It's just a tradition, relax. Keep a pack of 10dollars envelopes for this very purpose.

    Also, if you think this is shameless, wait until you learn about choi san dou!
    Even street beggars wouldn't lower themselves to accosting people for money like that. No other co-workers would expect the concierge to give them money.

    Self-respect. You can't buy that.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,185
    Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Even street beggars wouldn't lower themselves to accosting people for money like that. No other co-workers would expect the concierge to give them money.

    Self-respect. You can't buy that.
    The western equivalent is trick or treating at Halloween. Look at those shameless kids begging for candies! Even street beggars don't accost people asking for gummy bears like that!!

    Self-respect, you can't buy that!

    https://zh-yue.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...B2%A1%E7%A5%9E
    Last edited by alexdown; 12-02-2024 at 02:38 PM.
    shri and Fatpigkenny like this.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    The western equivalent is trick or treating at Halloween. Look at those shameless kids begging for candies! Even street beggars don't accost people asking for gummy bears like that!!

    Self-respect, you can't buy that!

    https://zh-yue.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/...B2%A1%E7%A5%9E
    Shameless parents who see nothing wrong with begging strangers for food like street urchins raise shameless children.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    47,736
    Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Shameless parents who see nothing wrong with begging strangers for food like street urchins raise shameless children.
    Tell us you really feel...

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,320
    Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    More typos, came back to TW from HK with some kind of terrible flu (not covid), been sick and working from home all week, brain not functioning correctly...
    Not the dreaded 100 day cough (aka whooping cough)? I caught that on a cruise over Christmas and am still coughing and gasping for air.

Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast