Like Tree70Likes

Who gets a laisee and how much?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Who gets a laisee and how much?

In the last week I have noticed 2 new security guards in our building, but haven't seen the regular sweet crazy old security lady who always talks to herself. Am I suppose to give these brand new guards who I've never seen before lai see? I was planning to give the lady a 100 bucks as she has been there 95% of the time over the last year.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised if I give the new guys money and never see them again after CNY. Looks a bit too coincidental to me.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Last edited by Crankshaft; 10-02-2024 at 10:59 AM.
    newhkpr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    In the last week I have noticed 2 new security guards in our building, but haven't seen the regular sweet crazy old security lady who always talks to herself. Am I suppose to give these brand new guards who I've never seen before lai see? I was planning to give the lady a 100 bucks as she has been there 95% of the time over the last year.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised if I give the new guys money and never see them again after CNY. Looks a bit too coincidental to me.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
    Security guards usually rotate shifts and buildings around CNY to maximise laisee income
    huja, Mrs. Jones and Giggsy like this.

Haha yes, pls do give laisee. But what the grannies do is ,
    give 20 note to the new guy
    give 50 to regular guy,
    give 100 to helpful nice guy

Give to the street cleaner you always pass. They need it the most and they keep the street clean. I gave to all of them on Peng Chau. And one ancient one I passed every day on the way to work in Sheung Wan.

Seems to be be less of a thing here in Taiwan but will be giving to my fantastic building manager, cleaner, and security guards. My building manager is the type who, seeing me trying to wrestle my cat to the vet, calls someone she knows in the building has a pet stroller for me to borrow. This level of niceness.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK:
    give 50 to regular guy,
    We do that too ...
    Fatpigkenny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Give to the street cleaner you always pass. They need it the most and they keep the street clean. I gave to all of them on Peng Chau. And one ancient one I passed every day on the way to work in Sheung Wan.

Seems to be be less of a thing here in Taiwan but will be giving to my fantastic building manager, cleaner, and security guards. My building manager is the type who, seeing me trying to wrestle my cat to the vet, calls someone she knows in the building has a pet stroller for me to borrow. This level of niceness.
    Call me tight but street cleaners and refuse workers are the ONLY people I give to. The most under appreciated people that do a fantastic job and most, in my area, with a cheery smile and greeting whenever I pass (all year round).

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:

Totally agree
    angeluscomplex likes this.

This old flowchart could be of help. Name:  IMG_7603.jpeg
Views: 821
Size:  93.8 KB

emx, shri, Mrs. Jones and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInHK:
    give 50 to regular guy,
    Also our practice.

There's a couple of small local restaurants I frequent. First visit after CNY and I give Lai See to the wait staff and the kitchen workers (who I suspect usually get left out).
    huja and VillanElle like this.

Name:  Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 3.06.18 PM.png
Views: 823
Size:  371.5 KB
    Unfortunately he can't collect in person, but you can send them to his tatler-payme account.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast