Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By ByeByeEngland
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By emx

Divorce applications increase 25%

Divorce applications increase 25%

Interesting ( to me) how little today's society values marriage.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bDdujhzxrPMgJc

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Interesting ( to me) how little today's society values marriage.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...bDdujhzxrPMgJc
    i haven’t looked but I wonder if any proportion of this is a global thing and pandemic related? (Both locked down for months on end etc etc).

I am NOT. A shining example but I have been married for 32 years. It’s too easy to get both married and divorced.

I’ve seen so many broken marraiges over the years because couples aren’t compatible and probably never were. I think far too many people have been watching too many romantic movies, reading too much Hello magazine etc. Marriage isn’t all a bed of roses.

Household finance is the key issue for staying together or getting a divorce. Many rich guys have mistresses and the wife don't care or willing to put up with it, so long as she gets a nice place to live with helpers, generous monthly allowance, credit card settle on time, fancy car to drive, trips...

From a practical stand point, I've been told it is (or was during "spicy" measures) common for married couples who jointly own property to divorce because:

1) You can transfer the shares in one property to your partner
    2) You can then buy a property without the spice tax

(Not sure of the technicalities.. but this has been mentioned more than once in passing conversations)

Needless to say... this does not apply in 90% of the cases, but lets not forget we're in HK and there is a practical aspect to this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    From a practical stand point, I've been told it is (or was during "spicy" measures) common for married couples who jointly own property to divorce because:

1) You can transfer the shares in one property to your partner
    2) You can then buy a property without the spice tax

(Not sure of the technicalities.. but this has been mentioned more than once in passing conversations)

Needless to say... this does not apply in 90% of the cases, but lets not forget we're in HK and there is a practical aspect to this as well.
    But didn't all spice taxes get cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by qhank:
    But didn't all spice taxes get cancelled?
    Last year's numbers...
    qhank likes this.