Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By qhank

Home return permit renewal

Home return permit renewal

Obviously it has been ten years since as I had a ten year permit. I understand much has changed but not certain what had changed. The website is completely different though and seem more confusing than before. I cannot find the link to download the forms nor make the appointment as easily as the old site.

I heard it’s necessary to make an appointment as opposed to being able to walk in as done in the past and appointments can be harder to come by Is this true? Also for those who are currently overseas does it have to be done in Hong Kong? Or Macau CTS can do it as well?

There is no form paper form anymore. It's actually extremely efficient now: you complete the application form online alongside making your appointment. This can even be same day in some cases... the backlog from last year has been cleared.

Online form will require the usual details (your own, and names of some close relatives) then after submission just be there for your chosen appointment time.

A photo will be required, but for adults I'd suggest doing this at the centre. Places like FotoMax charge $160, or there may be people in the building trying to lure you into their studio for a headshot - but easiest and cheapest is to use the photo booth within CTS. (Can't bring your own photo as they are given barcodes now and connected with their system).

The actual appointment is super quick, because they have your details already. Basically just give photo and pay. Collection around two weeks later and automated from a machine.

My understanding is you cannot apply in Macau unless you have a connection there: such as HK'er working in the city and with the Macau ID.

https://www.ctshk.com/mep/zh/apply-chinapermit-2/

Quote Originally Posted by tparker:
    There is no form paper form anymore. It's actually extremely efficient now: you complete the application form online alongside making your appointment. This can even be same day in some cases... the backlog from last year has been cleared.

Online form will require the usual details (your own, and names of some close relatives) then after submission just be there for your chosen appointment time.

A photo will be required, but for adults I'd suggest doing this at the centre. Places like FotoMax charge $160, or there may be people in the building trying to lure you into their studio for a headshot - but easiest and cheapest is to use the photo booth within CTS. (Can't bring your own photo as they are given barcodes now and connected with their system).

The actual appointment is super quick, because they have your details already. Basically just give photo and pay. Collection around two weeks later and automated from a machine.

My understanding is you cannot apply in Macau unless you have a connection there: such as HK'er working in the city and with the Macau ID.

https://www.ctshk.com/mep/zh/apply-chinapermit-2/
    Thanks, I am thinking though the website seems different than before. Though do you know what to put in the address columns if non of relatives now live in Hong Kong nor have Hong Kong addresses? Glad to know appointments can be made the same day.

It appears things are different for Taiwan compatriot pass applicants who can do it from any CTS in HK and Macau.

Where do you reside ?

Quote Originally Posted by jcs609:
    I heard it’s necessary to make an appointment as opposed to being able to walk in as done in the past and appointments can be harder to come by Is this true? Also for those who are currently overseas does it have to be done in Hong Kong? Or Macau CTS can do it as well?
    If you reside overseas (so not Macau or Taiwan), then you may be eligible for a Chinese Travel Document which is valid for two years and may be used in lieu of a Chinese passport to enter the PRC. Depending on where you are, there may even be a walk-in service at your local Chinese embassy/consulate.
    Morrison likes this.

In other words, depending on your place of residence you are eligible for either home return permit or
    ( outside of China and its territories) a “Travel Document” 旅行证 which serves the same purpose, entering mainland China

Thanks though since I had the HRP and able to make it down to HK to a cts office I find it a much more convienent option. And it can be used at echannels ie the bridge or Shenzhen. Heading to a Chinese embassy or consulate office overseas is surely a pain in the neck especially that its far away and it more often than not might require more than one day meaning staying in a hotel.

I see one poster on another webforum says now CTS now allow walk ins in practice and showing the expired HRP is adaquate by itself to renew a very easy process. I be curious can anyone here confirm it.
    Apparently I have contacts in Hong Kong back when I applied for the first time HRP but was actually in Taiwan with relatives but had a home overseas as well. Now I am overseas and my "friends" in Hong Kong that I know well no longer there or lost contact.

But for reference purposes mind if I ask what is needed to get the Chinese Travel Document? If overseas at a consulate or Embassy and hold PIC, HKSAR passport, and an expired HRP are these documents enough?