Like Tree46Likes

Stinking colds in the office?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Stinking colds in the office?

When I was a young thing working in the City of London taking a day off for a cold was unthinkable.

Post Covid you would have thought a cold was a stay at home event, especially now where the policy here is to WFH with a typhoon (not a day or half day off).

I’m the only Westerner among locals and stinking colds have been going around all week. Now it’s Friday it looks like I’ve fucking got it just in time for the weekend. Wankers!

One said I’m wearing a mask so it’s fine.

Yeah I noticed this as well, colleagues have been coming in even with a low fever. Wtf is up with that? Obviously what ever has been going around has been spreading like wildfire when people behave like this. When I finally caught it it ruined a whole weekend as well, I worked from home 2 days and then we had the Wed public holiday. Noticed from my local boss there was some pressure to come back to the office as he booked me for a face to face meeting. Then my misses of course also caught it and she got really sick.

Kind of forgot the pre-covid life, before this I hadn't been sick for 4 years (except Covid of course)

I recently had a fever for 7+days.
    Going up to 39.5degrees and was still at 37.8 by day#7!!
    My normal is 36.5...
    I was miserable but happy that I was able to just stay home... wasn't in the office for 2wks.
    Never been so sick.
    On first night told my wife that if I don't wake up in the morning call an ambulance.

In another thread about taking leaves, some "employers" said they would fire people for taking "too many leaves". If such kind of logic applies in many companies...

We have a return to office mandate so people naturally come in sick in fear of their job

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    In another thread about taking leaves, some "employers" said they would fire people for taking "too many leaves". If such kind of logic applies in many companies...
    Yes, I would still (fire) 'move-on' someone who is constantly sick and uses up all available sick leave.

Quote Originally Posted by redslert:
    Yes, I would still (fire) 'move-on' someone who is constantly sick and uses up all available sick leave.
    Besides demonstrating low human qualities and violating the HK Employment Ordinance, you will have sick people at work who cyclically infect each other, resulting in low efficiency in the long term.
    Elegiaque likes this.

I was at work last week while under the weather--no sick leave with my current contract. Turns out I had COVID

hullexile and qhank like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinnie Jax:
    Besides demonstrating low human qualities and violating the HK Employment Ordinance, you will have sick people at work who cyclically infect each other, resulting in low efficiency in the long term.
    More a problem of expecting the rest of the team to carry the workload which is likely to kill moral for the entire team caused by a singular issue/problem source. Work needs to be done if someone in the team has to do more as a result of another's constant absence I very much doubt it would cause issues finding a replacement.

No way are colds stay at home events.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast