Like Tree55Likes

American Club booting out Non-Americans to maintain tax-free status

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I’ll be honest I’ve never understood the clamour to join such clubs much in the same way I’ve never understood why people will pay ridiculous monies to get a golf cart in DB.

I’ve been to the FCC a few times as a guest and HK Football Club. The food at the FCC is pretty good is about all I can say positive about the place.

I’m surmising it’s a status/badge of honour thing much like our dear US friends boast about how hard they work, what time they start and how comparatively few holidays they get.

I can see benefits if you have a young family and I guess if you’re rich enough (or someone is paying - although not for a secondary market debenture) you just do it and drive 1/2 mile there in your expensive car that does around 10 miles per week.
    The FCC is a totally different proposition to the HK Football club. The former, for the non-journalists members I know it's about having somewhere convenient in Central to take clients, book for events etc. For the latter the members I know typically join for the facilities and activities.
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

The FCC is also about price. Where else in Central can you get a G&T for $28 or a pint (yes, pint, not 500ml) of reasonable beer for $53? It's definitely not a place for families - that's where the football/cricket/American clubs excel.

Beanieskis likes this.

Isnt the FCC only about 2k a month too?

Beanieskis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Isnt the FCC only about 2k a month too?
    Don't you have to be a journo to even apply for proposal as a potential member?

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Don't you have to be a journo to even apply for proposal as a potential member?
    No you just need two nominations as far as im aware.

Edit - might even be one proposer.

Associate: For those who are not employed in journalism or in the media yet who wish to take advantage of the FCC’s professional and social activities – this includes all professionals, authors and business people
    Joining fee: HK$35,000
    Monthly Subscription Fee: HK$1,100
    emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    The FCC is a totally different proposition to the HK Football club. The former, for the non-journalists members I know it's about having somewhere convenient in Central to take clients, book for events etc. For the latter the members I know typically join for the facilities and activities.
    thanks maybe I was a tad harsh on FCC then

The data above is a bit out of date - the monthly sub has been $1300 for a while now. Plus there's a $900/quarter minimum spend.

Anyone can apply to join - they need an existing member (of any class) to introduce them and for their application to be signed off by 2 Correspondent members. There's currently no waiting list, and the introducer gets a kick-back of $2000 in F&B credit.

Quote Originally Posted by PLamHK:
    The data above is a bit out of date - the monthly sub has been $1300 for a while now. Plus there's a $900/quarter minimum spend.

Anyone can apply to join - they need an existing member (of any class) to introduce them and for their application to be signed off by 2 Correspondent members. There's currently no waiting list, and the introducer gets a kick-back of $2000 in F&B credit.
    Ah yes the signing fee has also jumped.

For those not employed as journalists yet who wish to take advantage of the FCC’s professional and social activities. This includes all professionals, authors and business people

Joining fee: HK$45,000
    Monthly Subscription Fee:$1,300

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4