ABC/CBCs living in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

ABC/CBCs living in Hong Kong

Are you an ABC/CBC or the like who grew up outside of Hong Kong, but decided to move to Hong Kong "just for the experience"? Not specifically job related or family related? After living here, do you think you would have regretted not coming?

I'm in my late 20s, and grew up and still live in the U.S. My parents are from HK, and I've visited many times over the years. I speak Cantonese, but mostly with family members, and I can also read/write some Chinese but probably not enough to quality as fully literate.

I've always wanted get the experience of living/working in Hong Kong, and am seriously evaluating it right now. However, I feel I have some big barriers and at risk of giving up certain things (Career in the US, relationship in the US), yet I still have this desire to be here. I'm 50/50 at this point, and want to understand people who made the move here and if they feel it was worth the risk (similar to mine). I would love to everyone's thoughts. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alvinyy:
    Are you an ABC/CBC or the like who grew up outside of Hong Kong, but decided to move to Hong Kong "just for the experience"? ... After living here, do you think you would have regretted not coming? ...

I've always wanted get the experience of living/working in Hong Kong, and am seriously evaluating it right now. However, I feel I have some big barriers and at risk of giving up certain things (Career in the US, relationship in the US), yet I still have this desire to be here...
    Brit-born, my case, with just two holiday trips to HK as a kid and a teen - and nope, no lasting "regrets" coming here, to live and work; though, initially, it took a bit of time +effort getting used to... Once I got to know people - from "abroad" at first, then, increasingly, more local - and picked up lingo and the ways here, a lot easier.

You've a plus: a desire to be here.

That's something I didn't have at the start - never seriously made the choice; I fancied travelling 'round this side of the world (so found work to fund that), and a best buddy had already made a move here, so followed - and I got to learn so much more along the way Returning to the UK, where my family lives, becomes "a holiday", and I no longer miss it.

Everyone's thinking and situation differs a little, I guess.
    Last edited by emmie; 31-12-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Yes, I was in the exact same situation a few years ago. I quit my job and moved here about a year ago, partly to escape my debaucherous lifestyle in canada I would say, yes it was worth the risk. I am pretty mellowed out here... found a normal girlfriend, and don't party much anymore. Only downside is that I drink too much now. Being able to buy alcohol at the 7-11 24/7 was cool at first... now I don't think it's such a good idea anymore, LOL

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 31-12-2008 at 07:03 PM.

Same situation as you and went throught the same dilimma 4 years ago at 29. I was born here in HK but moved to US when I was 8, so pretty much Americanized. Besides a handful of local friends who I regularly go party with when I am back for vacation, I dont know anyone or have any kinds of connections. But I am so sick of the monotonous life style back in the US suburb that I just want to move to Asia, besides I loved this great city and always miss coming back.

So pretty much I came back and started from scratch and had never regretted moving back. I started a new job shortly after I moved back and had made tons of new connections which I cherish. Although the pay of my job is embarrassing to disclose, I feel that the experience of living here far outweighs the lost of additional income I couldve made if I was back home.

That said, there are factors which made my choice easier to justify

1. My parents have a empty house here so I dont have to pay a cent for rent. I would prob have to pay in access of $35K plus a month to rent a similar place
    2. I own a house in the US which now I have rented out for additional income
    3. At the time I moved back, I just lost my job and was doing a lot of freelance which I did not want to do anyways

Hope this helps, and again, you will not regret...trust me. In addtion, one thing I love about living here is that you can just hop on a plane and in a couple hours you are submerged in a new city with totally different culture. Verses in the US, a few hours and you are still in America.

Good luck