Dumb question - Gas Water Heaters - HELP!

Closed Thread

Dumb question - Gas Water Heaters - HELP!

Hi All,

I'm sure this will be a very dumb question - but we have never had to deal with gas water heaters back in Australia.

Have (today) moved into an apartment in HK which has a gas water heater in the bathroom.

It doesnt seem to be working - hot water tap runs cold and it seems like there is no power going to the heater.

The on/off button on the heater does not do anything.

I can't see a switch anywhere that turns it on.

There is a lightswitch-looking switch outside the bathroom which has a red light on it which turns on when I flick the switch.

I'm sure this is doing something - but it looks like it is just turning the red light on!!!

There are no instruction manuals in the apartment (I guess they assume everyone knows how to work the water heaters)

Any help would be very grateful (especially before bathtime!)

The red light switch is very likely the one for the heater. So that needs to be on, and then the switch on the heater needs to be on. And then it will start automatically when you open a hot tap. It will take a few seconds before hot water reaches the tap, but it should be obvious from the noise when the heater fires up.

yes, it only takes few seconds for a tankless water heater but it'll take a lot longer for heaters w/ tanks.

Thank you both - All working fine now - much appreciated