expats vs locals

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by beafan:
    locals have a different sense of humor too
    i cant joke around with them
    they cant sense sarcasm and they take u seriously instead
    I also used to assume that, readily.

But, as my Cantonese got better and better, bit by (blo*dy SLOW) bit, a long with an increasing familiarity with local popular culture (thru TV, radio shows and documentaries, films, etc), I realised that there are lots of sarcasm, irony and WIT abound... just another brand/shape and form, perhaps And I've attended a few local bilingual shows, theatre & whatnot (cringing at the badly translated Eng sub- or surtitles!), as well as "deciphered" from local TV soap - before I became more alert to this. Takes time...

I've been here for 8 months and before I arrived, I decided that I should mix with the locals to help me adapt better. The first couple of months was really tough, there was the language issue (poor cantonese) + the culture shock (loud and rude locals) to deal with.
    Very early on, I realised that my colleagues are not going to speak english just for my benefit and although all of them speak perfectly good english, they are comfortable in cantonese. So most time, I sit among them, pretending that I understand the conversation and sometimes, if I'm lucky, someone will translate.

After 8 months, i have made a total of 2 local friends and they are really good friends. Someone told me that yes it takes time to get close to a local. But once you're friends, you're friends for life.

To the person who red-blobbed a previous post which included my comment 'bout having me "BIG toe - if not a foot - stirring in Chinese traditions" with the following constructive criticism:

"Please stop over-italicising so many words. It is unecessary and annoying, thanks" (11-01-2009 3:09PM)

Thank you - so sage...

*slappin' own wrists* this very min... lol

Is that your misspelling or the blobbers?

Could be double wristie slaps.

Quote Originally Posted by araucaria:
    Is that your misspelling or the blobbers? ...
    Not mine.
    ________

Was wonderin' IF someone else would bother mentioning the misdemeanour.

Not gonna go below the belt and an*l, so left it to you, instead

Er... while we're at it - might there, dear comarade, be a teeny wee mark missing from your last word? (Won't blob ya for it THIS time )

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4