how do you get out of membership contract?

Closed Thread

how do you get out of membership contract?

my membership at a yoga studio is for a year. i used 1 month, then had to freeze it for medical reason. but i want to get out of it all together. don't have medical reason for that though. has anyone managed this? care to share the technique?

I would suggest that you try and sell your membership if possible. I dont think that there is a way out if you have signed up for a year

Depends on how you pay

If you pay your monthly membership fee by credit card, should not be a problem to get out of it...
    Just tell your credit card company that you lost the card. With a new card you get a new number and they can't take the money any longer.
    ANd it is very unlikely that they try any legal action against you when you are a Gweilo.

I know a few people who did it like this to terminate gym contract, so it should also work with that YOGA one.

>> Just tell your credit card company that you lost the card. With a new card you get a new number and they can't take the money any longer.

Don't count on it... there have been as many cases of the credit card company rolling over the contract to the new card number, specially if both the merchant and your credit card account is with the same bank.

>> ANd it is very unlikely that they try any legal action against you when you are a Gweilo.

*sigh* .... one of these days ....

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD:
    ANd it is very unlikely that they try any legal action against you when you are a Gweilo.
    yeah right......if you break the contract you will be taken to the small claims court - gweilo's and everyone else are not exempt.
    As you may know, certain gyms sue every type of member without question if you break the contract.

Although not for my own case, I have been to the Small Claim Tribunal with one of those fitness clubs. Many of those health clubs have issues with clients who refrain to pay or having contractual problems. The thing these clubs do is to 'book' 2 or 3 days in full and in a roll for all these kind of matters with the Small Claim Tribunal. This happens once in a while. As it is also about law and economics, the representative of a club may drop a case if he finds you too difficult to handle. The Small Claim Tribunal is not so focussed on legal technical matters, rather a 'good conversation' between parties. So, play with human communication. A club is aware that it should not waste too much money and time on one non-performing client. therefore, they are willing to make some concessions.