Chinese perople coughing on you if they dont respect you sub-consciously....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Chinese perople coughing on you if they dont respect you sub-consciously....

Hi I have come to notice this with colleagues..As they walk past cough onto you - and dont cover their mouth...

one particular colleague has done this 2 times now and i am noticing is not a coincidence...

Can anyone confirm this?

I think its rather disgusting actually.

Would like to stay healthy while being in the workplace.....

Thanks

Not sure about deliberate coughing - but has anyone else noticed the sheer volume of colds here ??? I used to get one, usually none, per year in Aus/NZ and now I'm on my 4th cold of the winter - it's driving me nuts - what's the cause?

My top theories are:
    1) pollution upsetting lungs etc and reducing immunity
    2) public transport resulting in more germs etc
    3) not having natural immunity to germs having moved to a new hemisphere

Any views?

The lack of immunity to the diff pool of germs here definitely plays a part.

Also the high density of the population makes an ideal breeding ground for these baddies and also easy transference from one person to another.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Not sure about deliberate coughing - but has anyone else noticed the sheer volume of colds here ??? I used to get one, usually none, per year in Aus/NZ and now I'm on my 4th cold of the winter - it's driving me nuts - what's the cause?

My top theories are:
    1) pollution upsetting lungs etc and reducing immunity
    2) public transport resulting in more germs etc
    3) not having natural immunity to germs having moved to a new hemisphere

Any views?
    Yeah, there's just a different flavour of bugs for your immune system to adapt to. I had the same thing when I moved out to the UK (as did my other friends from Oz).

At least, that's the reason that seemed plausible at the time. It could be expat urban myth

Funny thing that expat myth, in all our years that we have lived here, I have never caught a cold, or the flu in Hong Kong...

Reasons as to why...

Neither of us ( Mrs Skyhook and I ) work in an office environment, which often use an air conditioning system that recirculates the same common air around that everybody has breathed in/expelled, a perfect method to transmit airborne germs around, unless the prefabricated duct work is properly cleaned every 12 months. Especially around the RA filter.. When was the last time you saw HVAC service staff removing ceiling panels to access your ventilation system ? Probably never.

Eating out all the time, using common area's, especially in family restaurants you increase your chance of sickness majorly, not to mention heavy usage of Taxi's, as the previous passenger who just exited prior to you might have coughed a lung full of TB moments before you entered, same with public ie buses/trains, the more people contact you have in confined spaces, the higher the chance of getting sick.

We don't eat out much, preferring to cook our meals at home, and we generally stay within our local area, or airport bound, using our own car instead, which reduces exposure, and I don't believe its a fluke that we don't get sick, but a direct result of lifestyle, ie eating properly, avoiding all China caught seafood, and keeping out of confined crowded scenario's when practical....

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-01-2009 at 07:32 PM.

well I want to say if he cough without covering his mouth it means he doesn't have a good habit. But if everytime he passes you and he cough ,maybe he is alergic to your perfume if you do have.

Quote Originally Posted by pandabearest:
    Hi I have come to notice this with colleagues..As they walk past cough onto you - and dont cover their mouth...

one particular colleague has done this 2 times now and i am noticing is not a coincidence...

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
    How many places in the world do you know where staff will wear a surgical mask for the day if they have a cold? All the staff in my office are very polite when they have a cold and are very careful not to get too close to others.

Burping on the other hand is another story....

Quote Originally Posted by pandabearest:

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
    I've noticed this too. Happens to me once in a while. People here cough when they are nervous/uncomfortable/dislike you. I had a cab driver do it to me once and I coughed back louder. That shut him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Funny thing that expat myth, in all our years that we have lived here, I have never caught a cold, or the flu in Hong Kong...

Reasons as to why...

Neither of us ( Mrs Skyhook and I ) work in an office environment, which often use an air conditioning system that recirculates the same common air around that everybody has breathed in/expelled, a perfect method to transmit airborne germs around, unless the prefabricated duct work is properly cleaned every 12 months. Especially around the RA filter.. When was the last time you saw HVAC service staff removing ceiling panels to access your ventilation system ? Probably never.

Eating out all the time, using common area's, especially in family restaurants you increase your chance of sickness majorly, not to mention heavy usage of Taxi's, as the previous passenger who just exited prior to you might have coughed a lung full of TB moments before you entered, same with public ie buses/trains, the more people contact you have in confined spaces, the higher the chance of getting sick.

We don't eat out much, preferring to cook our meals at home, and we generally stay within our local area, or airport bound, using our own car instead, which reduces exposure, and I don't believe its a fluke that we don't get sick, but a direct result of lifestyle, ie eating properly, avoiding all China caught seafood, and keeping out of confined crowded scenario's when practical....

Yep - I think you prove the point. I, on the other hand, catch a bus to work most days and work in one of those germ-infested shiny buildings in Central where no, I have never, ever, seen anyone clean the AC!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Yep - I think you prove the point. I, on the other hand, catch a bus to work most days and work in one of those germ-infested shiny buildings in Central where no, I have never, ever, seen anyone clean the AC!
    For plebs like you I would suggest a daily jigger or two of kombucha- gives the creeps to the bugs so you can mingle and co mingle and get up to whatever else plebs get up to-even taking a lift without holding your breath.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast