Orange trees

Closed Thread

Orange trees

So I'm seeing these little potted orange trees everywhere. I understand it's a CNY thing, but I would like to get one to put on my balcony and let it grow. Truth is, I want to have fresh oranges to eat. Should I get one of these little potted orange plants?

these are ornamental oranges or kumquats, and are cultivated to bear as many fruit as possible at this particular time...you can get one, but unless your are extremely horticulturally inclined, you will likely NOT get the same type of yield next year (not that you would want to eat them anyway..bitter)

They are very bitter/sour what ever you call it, its like sucking on a lemon. If you can take that taste then go for it.

Our local nursery owner suggested that it's good for throat/lung
    but you need to harvest the kumquat, remove the skin and soak in honey for 3 months.

The little kumquats that are already picked off the trees, which you can buy at the supermarket, are pretty sweet; just pop the whole thing in your mouth and the sweetness of the rind balances out the citrus inside, and has just a little bit of bitterness.

Those lil orange trees are like the xmas trees of CNY, my apartment decorated them by hanging red envelops all over the trees.

Last edited by Bojak83; 21-01-2009 at 12:12 PM.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Actually you can make an excellent marmalade from the kumquats. I like to add spices such as cinnamon and star anise and also pickled ginger.

If you want to keep your kumquats coming every year from the same bush, you will have to graft it onto a sturdy lemon rootstock.

If this overwhelms you, just get the nursery to do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    They are very bitter/sour what ever you call it, its like sucking on a lemon. If you can take that taste then go for it.
    Agreed... the ones straight from the trees taste terrible. I've tried.