ESL Teaching

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ESL Teaching

Just a quicky, probably been asked a thousand times already.

Im an ESL teacher and was wondering how hard it is to find work in HK without having a Bachelors degree or the such. (Basically just have my ESL Qualification). Is anyone in the same boat or has anyone experienced this that they might share how they went.

Thanks in advance

Pretty easy

I came here about 16 mths ago with no degree, only TESOL, same as u, and within 1 month I was working. I could have been working sooner but I was picky. You won't get work in a school, more likely in a language institute, and the hours can be long. I was working Tues-Saturday, and 3 hrs on Sunday, with Monday off. Count on working weekends, thats the money time for these companies. Getting my work visa was a little tricky tho, since I should have had a sponsoring employer BEFORE I arrived (I knew that ;-)), but you won't get sponsored from overseas without a degree. My boss was great and fudged the rules a bit. Now I'm set, working at a new job, a kindergarten with awesome holidays, great hours (no weekends) and great staff.

Bottom line is...if you're adventurous and determined, go for it. It may not be as easy as 10 yrs ago, but it can be done. Good Luck!

thankyou timklip, its great to have some positive feed back from people who have done it. I have had an endless amount of negative response on this subject. But as you said I like a challenge so its all about the journey not the destination.

Just another quicky, what salaries can you expect with just the TESOL qualificaiton?

Cheers again

Age seems to matter, friend is 55, has TOEFL, MSn, MBA and has taught various subjcts at the university level. No luck.

I've noticed a fair amount of the advertising has age limits on the application. More often than not its 40. Being 24 though I don't see a problem with there, (hopefully anyways).

as far as salary....(in HK Dollars)

I would think you could expect anywhere from 12K to 16K at a language inst., working full time. The economy is picking up here, so those figures may change (hopefully higher!!), but really if you can sell yourself, and the school really likes you, who knows?! Keep in mind that a NET teacher (government sponsored in a public school) will start at around 16K plus living allowance. I would suggest you focus on a kindergarten, if you're here for the short term. You can start full time at 16-17k, and often you don't need a degree (I didn't). You'd prob. be teaching phonics (not what you learned in TESOL, I know) but easy work, and if you love kids, its alot of fun. On top of a full time job, you can tutor privately in the evenings as well, and really make some cash. There you could prob. charge 200/hr, in the right areas of town. I'm not sure where you live, but HK is a pretty expensive city to live in, so bear that in mind.

I can't say l've notice age limits....have you tried www.classifiedpost.com for jobs? Lots of language institutes there, as well as the careers page in asiaxpat.com.

thank you very much for your information guys, has been extremely helpful, im not actually in HK yet, but will be in about 6 weeks, so will post again and maybe catch up for a beer or some sightseeing. Thanks again

as a native english tutor, i charge minimum $350/hour and have done for the past 5 years...when i started tutoring 10 years ago i charged $250....it's never been as low as $200...for me anyway..

ok, so what i can basically divulge from this is a full time ESL job in HK should bring me in around 12K-14K a month. Then private tutoring should be charged at around $250/hr or there abouts. Also finding work and also starting to private tutor should be relatively easy to do. I mean there is always hassles but as long as you apply yourself all this is relatively easy to attain. Would that be correct to assume?

tutoring

i admit 200/hr is on the low side, but again, it can depend on your quals. too. Parents aren't throwing away money on the first English speaker they see. And it very much depends where you tutor. There are huge differences in wealth here, so someone tutoring kids in Midlevels or Repulse Bay can ask for and expext ALOT more than someone tutoring in say, Shatin or Taikoo Shing. I've got friends tutoring at both ends of the spectrum, from 200/hr (TESOL only) -750/hr (MEd in International School).

But yeah B, your assumption is pretty much on. Go for it!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast