Are women second class citizens in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well whoever it was, please ask them if you can pop back for a moment to collect your sense of humour which you obviously left in there by mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    To Jimbo: I often get ignored when I am with my husband. It just happens a lot. I notice a difference in the level of respect.
    Ultimately it depends on whether its a works colleague of his and they're talking shop or if its more a mutual friend.

Some guys just don't know how to speak to women and it could also be that they're shy and don't feel as if they have the skills to bring you into the conversation as well, Feel free to speak up if this happens next or just wander off and do your own thing.

Sometimes it's blatant, like an old man cutting in line and interrupting my conversation with a clerk to ask his own question and waving me away when I protested.
    This kind of stuff happens to me not infrequently in Hong Kong (today at lunch in fact) and all the time in China, but the people who do it aren't just men, but are usually old.

I used to think certain people here were talking down to me, but it turns out that often they just didn't speak English all that well and were speaking slowly and deliberately for their own benefit, not because they were talking down...

Haven't had any issues in the workplace. I negotiate across the table from men no problem. Also work in a majority male office and never have problems with coworkers. Actually, I found certain male professionals in the US to be more dismissive of women at times (saying X is a bad idea, etc., without listening to the idea, etc.), although on the whole not a real problem there either.

I'm white. And as your wife would have done, I chased him away.

Oh and PDLM is probably one of those nasty old expats who can only get bar girls and marries one.

There is an old native American, very wise saying: Big rain, little rain; little rain, big rain. Meaning it may be a downpour, but it won't last long; whereas it can drizzle all day.

Where am I going with this? Well I like to apply this to men. Big prick, little prick; little prick, big prick. The smaller their little brothers are, the more they need to compensate.

To the nice people who have posted, thanks for your takes on this.

I think a lot of locals are conservative and shy. I think lots of local men feel more comfortable speaking with men than they would to women.

Just my observations. I could be totally off.

Oh and PDLM is probably one of those nasty old expats who can only get bar girls and marries one.
    Now Now, no need for this. PDLM can be to straight forward sometimes but he does provide a lot of knowledge which can be useful to expats.

Weary I dont know how long you have been here but HK is totally different for other Western countries. Some people come to HK and moan, why people here are rude, push, walk so slow blah blah blah. If you wanna enjoy HK, try not to take all things so seriously, HK is a cramped enough place where everyone is in a rush to make money. Just try to adapt and enjoy what the good things HK has to offer.

I just need to survive one more working day and I am off until Feb 2nd. Woohooo
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 22-01-2009 at 02:28 PM.

To the nice people who have posted, thanks for your takes on this.
    I actually think women here are treated pretty much as equally as anywhere else in the world and a lot better than many places.

However, if people react aggressively to what was obviously a joke then that could be why they are treated dismissively.

OP is already tired of the her own posts so no point in writing anymore