Are women second class citizens in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by weary

To Jimbo: I often get ignored when I am with my husband. It just happens a lot. I notice a difference in the level of respect.
    Yep - me too. We were walking along the GC shopping mall the other day side by side and were approached by a man with a clipboard doing a survey. He was on my side of the road but pushed past me to get to my husband to then grill him about his survey subject.... which was "how do you feel about job security in hong kong in the current environment" (or something along those lines). I did have to point out to the surveyor, who was ignoring me, at this stage that since I was the one working not my husband that perhaps he might be talking to the wrong person...... non comprehension.

Who cares anyway? People who do not recognise equal value are not worth bothering with. I went off and did my shopping and left hubby to deal with the annoying survey man!

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    However, if people react aggressively to what was obviously a joke then that could be why they are treated dismissively.
    Hull

Weary is clearly a newbie judging by the number of posts, Unless she's been a serial lurker for the past x months you are not going to know that PDLM does make these statements now and then and of course without putting a smiley on the end of the comment, How can you tell whether its in jest or not?

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I'm white. And as your wife would have done, I chased him away.

Oh and PDLM is probably one of those nasty old expats who can only get bar girls and marries one.
    Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: If I was your wife I would have given you poison.

Winston Churchill to Lady Astor: If you were my wife I would have drunk it

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Hull

Weary is clearly a newbie judging by the number of posts, Unless she's been a serial lurker for the past x months you are not going to know that PDLM does make these statements now and then and of course without putting a smiley on the end of the comment, How can you tell whether its in jest or not?
    OK, accepted though there are not really any neanderthal men who would say that not in jest are there?

Hull

For someone whose supposed to be a newbie she makes some pretty bold assumptions "Oh and PDLM is probably one of those nasty old expats who can only get bar girls and marries one".

Not the best way to make friends and influence people.

Hang on, why am I sticking up for PDLM? What is the world coming to

OK, accepted though there are not really any neanderthal men who would say that not in jest are there?
    Oh I know of a fair few!

Lady Astor to Winston Churchill: If I was your wife I would have given you poison.

Winston Churchill to Lady Astor: If you were my wife I would have drunk it
    And to quote another exchange between those two:

"Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507
    And to quote another exchange between those two:

"Sir, you're drunk!" "Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly."
    pure brilliance...

the woman secrurity guard in our block only every acknowledges me and never hayley, I don't think she is intentionally being rude though...just doesn't know any better...

Quote Originally Posted by DanielandHayley

the woman secrurity guard in our block only every acknowledges me and never hayley, I don't think she is intentionally being rude though...just doesn't know any better...
    Maybe she fancies you and just waiting to come up with the line

'Are you pleased to see me or is that a Cornish Pasty in your pocket?'

Maybe she fancies you and just waiting to come up with the line

'Are you pleased to see me or is that a Cornish Pasty in your pocket?'
    careful Jimbo...I'm pretty sure that the last two or three threads that we managed to bring pasties into the conversation got closed down...