Are women second class citizens in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Are women second class citizens in Hong Kong?

I'm retiring this topic and going back to work.

Last edited by weary; 22-01-2009 at 02:21 PM. Reason: tired of this topic.

From a male perspective on this

I wouldn't say so but yes of course there always exceptions to the rule, Could you quote one example so we can get an idea of what you have witnessed/encountered?

If anything in the relationships here particularly with locals the males are usually seen as second class citizens as they're certainly not the ones who wear the trousers.

Who let you out of the kitchen?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Who let you out of the kitchen?
    Here we go

To PDLM - statistically, it is almost dead certain that I am better educated and occupy a higher rank than you. Is that why you are bitter?

To Jimbo: I often get ignored when I am with my husband. It just happens a lot. I notice a difference in the level of respect.

Weary

Its a lot to do with politeness and manners to be honest and some of the older generation do not seem to grasp this, Please and thank you and just general good manners were not taught back in the day.

To be honest it doesn't seem to be taught now, I get the same too with people barging past me, queue jumping etc and thats from men as well as women regardless of age.

Try not to read into it too much as anything more than just bad manners.

Ignore PDLM's comments, He always forgets to put smilies at the end of his statements. ;-)

Last edited by jimbo; 22-01-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo and addendum

Quote Originally Posted by weary:
    To PDLM - statistically, it is almost dead certain that I am better educated and occupy a higher rank than you. Is that why you are bitter?

To Jimbo: I often get ignored when I am with my husband. It just happens a lot. I notice a difference in the level of respect.
    Please try not to take things too seriously

Actually, PDLM is probably a very henpecked person.

Last edited by weary; 22-01-2009 at 02:13 PM.

jimbo, yes, i can see what you mean. Thanks for your take.

[QUOTE=weary;308613]Sometimes it's blatant, like an old man cutting in line and interrupting my conversation with a clerk to ask his own question and waving me away when I protested. [QUOTE]

If that happend to my wife, she would have just got back into the conversation and pushed the old geezer away.

What color are ya (This does effect a lot of how the older Local generation treats you).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast