total cost of living in hong kong

Closed Thread

Exclamation total cost of living in hong kong

is HKD 9500 enough to live in HK? will i b able to save anything?

Quite hard I would say...

I d say it's quite hard if u dont get a housing allowance or so. Life is great here, but not cheap... :-(
    With that amount you might survive when they pay u a flat, but you probably won't save a dollar I m afraid.

yes, this would be a rather meager living allowance without renting a flat. If your company is not paying a stipend, i would request more.

does that include money for rent?
    it's not impossible to live on that but it will be damn hard. and no, you most likely won't be able to save anything.

if you share a flat you'll probably pay around $4000/month. you'll spend roughly (per month):
    groceries(being conservative)$2,500
    land line phone without long distance calling is about $120
    mobile telephone is also around $120
    if you want cable tv/broadband tv it will be about $200
    electric bill is about $500
    gas about $100
    transportation (depending on where you live and where you work)$1000
    MPF payments (5% of salary) $425

keep in mind that this does NOT include medical costs, tax, entertainment(movies cost $40-75; a drink at happy hour about $25-30, non-happy hour about $45-75), dinners out, laundry(if your flat doesn't have a washing machine)

if you added the monthly expenses up you get $8965/month...as you can see you don't have much left over for the entertainment/tax etc...

Exclamation house near stanley street

My company is at stanley street.can i get some pg for girls and will it will be reasonably safe to live in this area?how is this area?? posh... or okie...
    my company will be paying me HKD 9500? is HKD 12000 enough..hv any idea regd mktng jobs in singapore????

if you use what i gave you as a bare minimum guide, then you are the only one who can decide what is enough.

hk is extremely safe. i came here 10 years ago when i was 22 years old. i didn't know anybody, but i have never had a problem, safety-wise.

stanley street is in central (lan kwai fong) and it would be fairly expensive to live there. you could look at living n kennedy town which is about 10-15 minutes away by mini-bus but much cheaper.

If you live by yourself, then it is really hard to make it through the month, i think.
    It also depends on where you work. For example: eating out in central is expensive and also, don't forget your transportation fees, bills, ...

Er, why are you responding to a 3 year old post?

LOL, I didn't notice!!
    Hahahah, stupid....me

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Er, why are you responding to a 3 year old post?