How much did you pay for Mandarin lessons?

How much did you pay for Mandarin lessons?

I need to improve my spoken Mandarin (a lot). I've been having a very difficult time finding a new job that doesn't require fluent Mandarin, and I am just not there yet language wise.

Anyway, judging from an earlier thread on gym membership fees and how I overpaid for my flat screen TV a few months back, I am not very good at finding bargains in HKG (although I am a pro back home in the States). I realize every student/tutor/school is different, but a few extra data points would be helpful in my search.

So, whether you got individual 1-1 lessons or attended a class, would you mind sharing how much you paid and other specifics (class type, location, contract length, your language ability before and after, etc.)? Would you go back (assuming that type of consumer feedback is permitted here)?

Also, if you are a tutor/teacher, please feel free to PM me ONCE with your rates. I will contact you if I am interested or have further questions.

Last edited by tsuiwah; 24-06-2005 at 06:00 PM.

Hi Tsuiwah,

My sister and I took Mandarin lessons at a place called "Hong Kong Language Learning Center". All mandarin courses were $2070 HKD for 10 lessons (2 hours each) for 5 weeks. So basically classes were 2 days a week.

Their courses are meant for Expats, so they do go through quite a bit. One downer is that my sister and I took the intermediate (as we took beginner courses in Canada prior to moving here) and some of the text is outdate (ie: some outdated vocab such as telefax!?). It's a good way to learn conversational mandarin and students are in similar situations so it bodes for a strong learning environment. Check it out - details are below. This is about the average price in HK (already negotiated price). Even better, if you qualify, the HK government can subsidize 80% of mandarin courses (from accredited institutions) given that you pass a verbal test - u'll need to check their websites for info.

Hong Kong Language Learning Center
    Work: 2572-6488
    Fax: 2385-5571

Work Address:
    Room 1602-3, 16/F, Em...
    288 Hennessy Road,
    Wan Chai
    Hong Kong

Lightbulb Study in China

Hello,

I learnt to speak Mandarin at Fudan university in Shanghai. I spent a year there and learnt pretty much nothing cos I am a lazy bugger who never went to class. I wasted a great opportunity.

However, I worked in Shanghai for a year in an office full of Chinese people who could not speak any English and my spoken Mandarin is now very good.

If you could afford the time, I would suggest that you take 6 months out and go to Shanghai or Beijing and attend a course for a semester. They are great fun and you get to meet lots of people. But be prepared to study as opposed to exploring the bars in Shanghai like me!

Quote Originally Posted by tsuiwah:
    I need to improve my spoken Mandarin (a lot). I've been having a very difficult time finding a new job that doesn't require fluent Mandarin, and I am just not there yet language wise.

Anyway, judging from an earlier thread on gym membership fees and how I overpaid for my flat screen TV a few months back, I am not very good at finding bargains in HKG (although I am a pro back home in the States). I realize every student/tutor/school is different, but a few extra data points would be helpful in my search.

So, whether you got individual 1-1 lessons or attended a class, would you mind sharing how much you paid and other specifics (class type, location, contract length, your language ability before and after, etc.)? Would you go back (assuming that type of consumer feedback is permitted here)?

Also, if you are a tutor/teacher, please feel free to PM me ONCE with your rates. I will contact you if I am interested or have further questions.
    If cost is important, try the YMCA in Tsim Sha Tsui. HKD 880 for ten classes two time a week two hours a class.. They only have three levels though.

I'm taking lessons at HKLLC and I think it's a great place to learn either Mandarin or Cantonese. The staffs are extra friendly and helpful. I have class everyday for 2 hrs a day. Duration of the stay depends on your time schedule. They're very lenient and would try to accomdate you as much as they can. It's 2300/2 weeks or 7600 for 8 weeks. You get 10% discount if you pay full price 2 weeks in advance.

I also took Mandarin at Fudan last summer and I had the time of my life there. Shanghai would be best if you're serious about learning mandarin since everyone speaks it there so you can practice everyday, everywhere. I'd recommend Fudan if you like to socialize since there are usually 200+ students from all over the world (mostly the States) come to Fudan to attend classes. You'd get to meet so many new people there rather than staying at HKLLC since HKLLC is a smaller institution. Fudan costs so much less. I think it was about 200USD/ 4 weeks. They also have serviced dorm rooms with AC for international students and it was 11USD/ night.

Last edited by britelitet; 27-06-2005 at 01:27 PM.

yee33

I have a private tutor and we meet up once a week. It costs $250/hr. Although it's a more expensive option, I find you can get a lot more out of a tutor than a class. The tutor will customize the course to your level and my tutor is very picky about my pronounciation and won't let me move on unless I've said it correctly.

Exclamation BEWARE of scams...

There are many people in HK who pose as lanuage teachers to make "easy money" I know this because an aquantance of mine was teaching in a local Chinese school English without a University education, or anyother related qualifications up until last year...these people often are those who will offer you classes at some private "institute" - where a rep. will set you up with a teacher at a finders fee...what ever route you choose, check out their backgrounds before you agree to anything...

Can't go wrong with the Y

You need Mandarin to help you get a job?

You need Mandarin to help you get a job? I do wonder how true that is?

A lot of the job advertisements in Hong Kong require fluent English, Cantonese and Mandarin. The general standard of spoken Mandarin in Hong Kong is extremely poor and the general standard of spoken English is not fantastic either.

I think in Hong Kong the word fluent carries a different meaning. I believe employers ask for fluent Mandarin and English meaning that they require someone who can speak them at a very basic level.

There is only a tiny percentage of people in Hong Kong, locals or foreigners, who are fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English.

You get what you pay for

• You get what you pay for.

• Not all teachers are created equal.

• Some teachers are better than others.

The best way is to learn from a native, China-born teacher, who has university education, has patience and good teaching skills.

What to watch for:
    • Your teacher's accent and dialect. There are differences in Mandarin. For example, most Chinese from Taiwan, Shanghai, Guangdong cannot pronounce "sh" sound.

• Most Hong Kong born (Canonese) cannot teach Mandarin properly.

• Professional, educational and social position (origin) of your teacher. If you are a CEO, you don't want to be taught by a factory worker or a pesant.

• Your teacher's ability to use "pinyin" transcription.
    Last edited by petrm; 11-07-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Wrong formatting (bullets)

if you are interested in looking for a mandarin conversation tutor

Hi there. I'm Chinese.
    I studied business English in Guangxi Normal University and am working in a trading company in shenzhen,mainland of China.Let's see how i can help you with your mandarin practice and meanwhile share with you my experience of learning foreign languages for business.

Just email me if you want: [email protected]