Pie and Mash shop in HK?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    surely with 150 yrs of british rule there must be a pie and mash shop in HK somewhere ?
    We weren't ruled by cockney villains though were we?

It's even hard to find a pie and mash shop in Walthamstow now.

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress
    hmmm, I thought it was a 99-year lease?
    1841-1997 = 156 years, which any fule kno

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    Not a fan of eel and allergic to cockles / muscles but pie, mash and liquor - mmmmmmmm in historical terms only I am afraid.

The reason being ( I am a Londoner by birth ) that the traditional customers of East London have been moved out by the luxury apartments and dockland developments. Not forgetting the areas like Cable Street that are now home to Bengali and Bangladeshi communities. There are now only about 3 outlets that do it justice.

Its now Chapatti rather than chips that prevails. The memory of sitting in my uncles favorite haunt at Greenwich is a hazy memory and the Aussie meat pie you can find in HK is Gay in comparison.

On this subject, whilst I am rambling. My Royal Navy service was memorable because of the NAAFI ( the armed forces 7-11 ) " CHUNKY " pie. A steak and kidney masterpiece which was made in their own factory. They shut it down in 1974-5, turning the supply over to Ginsters and Walls. We wore black armbands for a month and vowed never to eat the worthless replacement.

Happy Days.
    For those attuned to London landscape, the pie and mash shop scene is still rife in London. Go to Crisps Street Market (DLR Station get off at ALl Saints). Basically pie and mash shops somehow littered along the east end of London still.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    We weren't ruled by cockney villains though were we?

It's even hard to find a pie and mash shop in Walthamstow now.
    For those attuned to London landscape, the pie and mash shop scene is still rife in London. Go to Crisps Street Market (get off at ALl Saints DLR Station). There is my local pie and mash shop. Basically pie and mash shops somehow littered along the east end of London today still.

Quote Originally Posted by muse07
    I had a sudden craving for a sausage roll today (I used to have them in Oz, not sure if it is a British thing also). I just realised I have not had one since moving here almost 2 years ago! Anyone know where I can get one?
    strangely though the best sausage roll i have had during my time in London was the sainsbury ones, albeit a bit lukewarm. You can find sausage rolls even n Maxim's cake shops that came along each MTR station. Not a big fan of the roll tho'.

Quote Originally Posted by ck200
    For those attuned to London landscape, the pie and mash shop scene is still rife in London. Go to Crisps Street Market (DLR Station get off at ALl Saints). Basically pie and mash shops somehow littered along the east end of London still.
    Somewhere I should stop on my next visit no doubt. However - I will not build up my hopes of getting shop made and not factory made as most of the ones I have seen in the last 10years are.

No doubt there may be Gastro Pie and mash shops catering to the " new " eastender. The EEC has a lot to answer for in destroying memories of childhood, unless your French or German.

I have just moved here from the east end of london and believe me the original pie and mash shop with green liquor and jellied eels is still alive and well. Not a fan myself though!

Quote Originally Posted by ck200
    strangely though the best sausage roll i have had during my time in London was the sainsbury ones, albeit a bit lukewarm. You can find sausage rolls even n Maxim's cake shops that came along each MTR station. Not a big fan of the roll tho'.
    Sorry, are you thinking of a sausage in a bread roll?

I believe the sausage roll in question was actually the pork/sausage mince variety rolled in pastry.

If so, I have found the pastry variety in La Rose Noire Bakery in Causeway Bay (in Wellcome on Paterson St). Not the best though, and certainly doesn't rival the kind I used to get from Aussie bakeries.

I've resorted to making my own, as the mince is available from time to time in the International supermarkets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2