How quickly does the landlord have to do repairs?

Closed Thread

How quickly does the landlord have to do repairs?

I'm due to move into an apartment tomorrow. The wardrobe door scrapes and it is difficult to open. I asked the landlord (via the agent) to fix it. However, the landlord lives outside HK and says she will fix it when she visits in March. I consider that a month - or more - is unreasonable. Is there anything specifying how quickly a landlord must do repairs? The lease specifies who is responsible but not how quickly repairs are to be done.

Its only a sticking wardrobe door, Not exactly an emergency like a leaking toilet or something. All it takes is a handyman with a plane to take a few millitmetres off the door and job done, Less than 5 minutes to fix.

Or probably just adjust the hinges - that's not something I'd even both the landlord with - 5 minute job with a screwdriver.

If the wardrobe has fixed ( butt ) hinges without adjustment srews, unscrew the bottom hinge on the cabinet ( not the door ) side cut a piece to fit the rebate from one of the cardboard boxes you must have in the kitchen. Place behind and replace the screws.

Repeat until satisfied - job done.

If you really don't want to do it yourself get a handyman. If you object to paying yourself just knock the 100 dollars or so off the next rent, checking with the landlord first of course.