Should you tip hairdressers?

Should you tip hairdressers?

Is this expected in Hong Kong? Even at very expensive salons? One tip to cover everyone (stylist, colour technician, little one that washes your hair)?

I have to say I resent tipping when I pay an enormous amount of money for a largely average hair cut so rarely do it.... but want to know whether I should feel bad about this and understand whether it is expected or not.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by AlexandraF; 14-02-2009 at 07:42 PM.

I usually do but only if I'm truely happy with it, If its average or just o.k then I pay the standard price.

One tip to be split between the stylist, the hair washer etc. Let them fight over the percentage split.

i go to this great guy that has a small place hidden away in tsing yi. he doesn't speak english, but he's always able to give me the haircut that i want. he only charges about $88, i always give at least $100.

I sometimes round up the $65 or so by $5 or $10 if I feel the guy's done a good job.

Tipping is such a personal and cultural thing. It's up to you. I always tip my hair dresser and we have a great relationship. Sometimes he doesnt charge me if i need a quick touchup snip. He tries to squeeze me in his schedule when possible. I get a great head massage from the hair washing girl. I always believe in tipping for good service.

You might find it more enjoyable if you go to a salon that is affordable and tip a little. I see mine at least once a month. Having a good relationship with a good compatible hair dresser is almost as good as having a great partner.

The answer is Yes. From my "point" of view, tips can increase the value of one(self) and therefore making them serve more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    Tipping is such a personal and cultural thing. It's up to you. I always tip my hair dresser and we have a great relationship. Sometimes he doesnt charge me if i need a quick touchup snip. He tries to squeeze me in his schedule when possible. I get a great head massage from the hair washing girl. I always believe in tipping for good service.

You might find it more enjoyable if you go to a salon that is affordable and tip a little. I see mine at least once a month. Having a good relationship with a good compatible hair dresser is almost as good as having a great partner.
    But where do I find such places? I always end up going to salons that cost HK$2000+ (I have colour as well as a cut). I honestly don't think they are miles better than others but it is important that I find somewhere that the technicians speak English well. I believe in tipping good service too but I get so annoyed that places like Tony & Guy charge much more here than Shanghai / Singapore that I don't do it. I'd be glad of any recommendations of good hair salons here.

Blimey - no wonder you resent tipping!!! I think that amount would fund my hair budget for the last 10 years ...(mind you, I only go ever 6 months or so and always look for a cheap place! never found language to be a problem in HK either).

My dresser barely speaks English and he always tells me I am fat. Where do you live? Does it matter to you where the dresser is.
    Its all by trial and error. I always go for the busy ones when I was looking. As long as they are clean, modern, go straight in. Good luck.
    My dresser is in happy valley and there are a lot in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I sometimes round up the $65 or so by $5 or $10 if I feel the guy's done a good job.
    It's so good to be a man. a $65 haircut without extra treatment goes just fine on a man's head.