country park hikes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have been solo camping regularly in the summer for about 2 years (2006-2008), me being a 5'1 tall asian wall-flower and all. Got a lot of warnings from locals and friends, but the only robbery I've experienced so far is from stray dogs.

I know this is mostly in Chinese so it might not help, but the local hikers use a BBS to alert each other about recent mountaineering accidents and robberies . From their postings and archives, I concurr that there has been a lot of muggings between 2004 and 2007, but it looks like things are under control again since 2008. From what I gathered, local hiker's greatest dangers are probably snakes (especially at night), fog/smog that might cause you to get lost or fall off a cliff, and finally, heat stroke.

Snakes are not a major issue during the day if you are walking on clear trails (I've seen only two small live ones in my time here) - but more so if you are hacking through the undergrowth or walking up stream beds. The most venomous (kraits mainly) are very nocturnal, and they only tend to attack when feeling threatened. But I think I'd take care to sleep in a snakeproof tent were I to go camping here.

I'm sure you're right, PDLM (what is a PDLM?) I lived on Lamma for about a year and often walked in the dark to and from the pier. I've seen more snakes than I care to, so pardon me if I'm a little biased.

BTW, the biggest one I've seen was over 6 meters in length, and in broad day light, gliding out of our storage shed in the back yard (Lamma). You don't have to be doing bush-attacks to step on a snake either; for some strange reasons they all come out of the bush to lie around in the middle of the road at night. Probably having a moonlight bathing party of some sort...

Quote Originally Posted by thisdress:
    I'm sure you're right, PDLM (what is a PDLM?) I lived on Lamma for about a year and often walked in the dark to and from the pier. I've seen more snakes than I care to, so pardon me if I'm a little biased.

BTW, the biggest one I've seen was over 6 meters in length, and in broad day light, gliding out of our storage shed in the back yard (Lamma). You don't have to be doing bush-attacks to step on a snake either; for some strange reasons they all come out of the bush to lie around in the middle of the road at night. Probably having a moonlight bathing party of some sort...
    They lie on the path because it is warmest place to be. I hate snakes. I have seen some big snakes in my time, but never 6 metres! I hate seeing anything on land with no legs, or too many legs.

As a famous man once said: "Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"

Woops, sorry, I meant 6ft, not 6 meters.

Not sure if snakes are any more dangerous than crocodiles myself

take this for a dumb question, do chinese snakes hibernate? I know its hot right now but its technically winter. I mean, is it relatively snake free if i go this weekend?

Not sure if HK is cold enough for them to hibernate, but there are a lot more sightings in the summer than in the winter, that's for sure.

Again, I meant to agree with PDLM... if you're hiking in broad daylight, you are very unlikely to have troubles with them.

Quote Originally Posted by lulumay:
    I am thinking of hiking with my dogs in more remote (remote to me) locations in country parks. we feel very safe in the very crowded areas of like the peak morning trail, the trail from parkview down to tai tam, the peak to pok fu lam and the likes.

How safe is it if we venture out into the wilderness? I've come across a few websites that suggest the following:

Hike with a group of friends
    Hike on holidays and popular trails
    Carry a walking cane for protection
    Yell back when you meet stranger alone
    Avoid mugger hot spots
    Put some of your cash elsewhere

Has anyone been mugged?
    Do you really need a cane for protection, and protecting what? Counter attack the mugger?
    Is hiking alone that dangerous, i like to get away from people.
    Is yelling when i see a stranger to scare him/her away?
    Does anyone know where the mugger hot spots are? do muggers not hang out in cold spots?

I just bought a map and a guide. Does anyone have any good suggestions? I prefer a trails with parking. HK, Kowloon or NT?

thanks
    I did a lot of hiking alone with professional photography equipment and never had any problem. I never heard scary stories before!
    The only danger I encountered were dogs on islands. Some people use the public trail as a part of their property, so the dogs (free to attack) become furious while you just continue your way.
    Well, I just pretend that I am not freaked out and I'm fine

I saw as well (with my husband this time) a group of free dogs (probably around 8) using a public park in Cheung Chau (not sure, i always mix up the names :/) as their property. When we planned to enter the park, they showed some agressivity, so we left as fast as possible, without running.

I think Hong Kong is the safest place I have ever seen (ex aequo with Poland)!

thanks everyone for their input. Is there a central 'forum' for individual hikers to register their hikes? Does anyone know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Snakes are not a major issue during the day if you are walking on clear trails (I've seen only two small live ones in my time here) - but more so if you are hacking through the undergrowth or walking up stream beds. The most venomous (kraits mainly) are very nocturnal, and they only tend to attack when feeling threatened. But I think I'd take care to sleep in a snakeproof tent were I to go camping here.
    I've twice encountered pythons while hiking, both on Lantau Island. Before this, I used to camp outdoors in a sheet sleeping bag. Now I take a tent!