Like Tree3Likes

Speaking Chinese

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Speaking Chinese

I find it very interesting that a lot of non chinese speakers living in hong kong do not learn a little chinese. Of course, some do and some are very good at it. It seems like most people stops at mmm goi, door chair, and delay no more.

I remember for some of the non native italian speakers living in rome at least learn a few phrases. Even some native English speakers living in San Francisco learn Spanish to get by in the Mission.

Is this just my perception? Why arn't you learning more Cantonese?

My friend who recently moved to HK and moved into the Soho/Mid-Levels area told me that she's met other people who've lived there for decades, and don't speak a single word of cantonese.

I guess its because in that neighborhood, you don't ever need to speak Chinese to get around or do anything. And if they do venture outside...they'll can just drag someone along with them to be guide.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    Even some native English speakers living in San Francisco learn Spanish to get by in the Mission.
    Why don't the Spanish-speaking people in the Mission speak English?
    dear giant likes this.

There are many reasons why people choose do not to learn it.

Firstly, a lot of expats come to Hong Kong on 1 - 2 year contracts and don't expect to live here for a longer time. Getting down the basics of Cantonese takes about a year of serious study, so many short term expats don't think it is worth the effort.

Secondly, comparatively few expats work in local companies, so Cantonese skills are usually not needed in office. It is more likely that some basic Mandarin skills are required, if the company does business on the mainland.

Thirdly, Cantonese is not very useful in the popular expat living areas (especially Midlevels and Discovery Bay). Even though I speak Cantonese, I never have to use it when talking to Chinese people in those areas. And when I insist on using it, there is a 99.9% chance that I get a reply in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Why don't the Spanish-speaking people in the Mission speak English?
    Same reasons as why the English speaking people in Mid levels don't speak chinese.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    Same reasons as why the English speaking people in Mid levels don't speak chinese.
    They all have maids and don't like to mix with the locals?

I have been here for 2.5 years and speak no more than basic survival words/phrases of Cantonese. It is shameful.

I work in an English-speaking office for a Western employer and with co-workers from The Philippines and HK. There is very little opportunity to speak Cantonese.

For some bizarre reason though, I find myself reasonably conversant in both Tagalog and Bahasa Indonesian and can follow and contribute to conversations and to my surprise even read and send SMS in these languages.

I don't have any Chinese friends and for me that is the reason I am unable to make progress in the language. Of course, I need to make more of an effort but due to time constraints and work pressures I see little prospect of improving my knowledge of Cantonese unless I was to get a Chinese girlfriend.

Quote Originally Posted by shilo507:
    I see little prospect of improving my knowledge of Cantonese unless I was to get a Chinese girlfriend.
    not really ....
    the Chinese girlfriend probably can also speak english.

well, the expats dont speak canto simply because they dont have to i guess?? look at the Mormons, they speak very fluent canto cos they are preaching to the locals

They can't speak Cantonese or they choose not to speak in front of you?

I was hired to interprete for a couple of aussies in HK a few years ago. They never ever speak in Cantonese in front of the clients, but as soon as the clients step out of the consultation room, we close the door and start joking in Cantonese... Sometimes they even question or criticize my choice of words.

Smart thing to do, IMO. Hongkies are very outspoken about how they feel about you, especially if they think you can't understand a word...

A significant factor is that there is very little chance to learn Cantonese. For example, even here at the _Chinese_ U of HK, there are only two short Level 1 Canto courses for foreigners pursuing degrees. I can take Japanese up to Level 4 and Putonghua up to Level 6, but if I want to go beyond Level one Canto it means enrolling in full time programs or going to TST for evening classes. Repeated requests to the language center to offer higher level courses, even if only three or four students would enroll, have been answered with "Why don't you learn Putonghua, it is much more useful anyway".

While the local language in many other places - think France or Japan - is considered an essential part of the countries culture, here in HK I get the impression that people would actually prefer if they all had learnt Putonghua as their native language. They are positively surprised when they find out that I do speak a little, but I've huge troubles understanding them - they just speak way too fast. Hence, if it is someone who has a basic command of English, they'd just speak English to me then. I've yet to meet someone - other than my language exchange partners - who actually makes the effort to speak slow enough for me to understand.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast