Men with Earrings?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

although i do appreciate a man that knows his jewelry...

Quote Originally Posted by mandy_can09:
    although i do appreciate a man that knows his jewelry...
    and lets you borrow them...or better yet, buys for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Konijntje:
    and lets you borrow them...or better yet, buys for you...
    owww i never thought about it that way!! right so if he has an extensive earring collection that doubles my jewelry box....interesting...maybe guys with earrings arent so bad!! hehe

owww i never thought about it that way!! right so if he has an extensive earring collection that doubles my jewelry box....interesting...maybe guys with earrings arent so bad!! hehe
    I would draw the line at chandelier earrings tough - as much as I love them, I don't want to see them on a man.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    I would draw the line at chandelier earrings tough - as much as I love them, I don't want to see them on a man.
    HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what about pearls? hahahah!!!

I am not a fan or earrings on men in corporate work where you meet clients either internal or external. It would definitely colour my thinking if I was interviewing someone like that. I haven't as I interviewed just for senior positions either in my division or on other executives teams selecting AVPs or Director level positions.

I didn't do a scientific study on this so am not sure if the male earring wearers were people who weren't about to get promoted so decided to wear what they wanted anyway or if they were just not corporate types.

What I recall from my large Canadian insurance company days is that the male staff in our company with earrings definitely had some sort of attitude issues to the point you'd say they had a chip on their shoulder. It seemed to be a way to stick it to management as it clearly didn't fit our corporate image but with dress code battles never ever won in the company, the company wasn't about to get into more wars.

The last dress wear battle in that company in 1979 was not won and was never ever lived down by the VP until the day he retired. It became the mother of all dress battles and was never attempted there again. Against the advice of the CEO this prim and proper ex-Brit VP demanded that the night shift (key punch operators mostly in another building not our HO) wear dresses and suits. He was so happy with the outcome he set up a meet and greet for the CEO to give his state of the company address to this group at the start of the night shift one day just a few weeks into this new regime with the dress code.

Sadly this preceded cell phones and with the CEO and VP in transit between presentations in different places of the city the night shift managers couldn't stop the CEO from seeing how the staff complied with the policy that particular evening.

The CEO got off the elevator to this entire floor (open area) of key punchers and data processors to find the women in their finest evening gowns carrying old fashioned umbrellas and hats and the men in top hats, tuxedos, long tails, etc etc. The work was being done just like normal but it looked like a very good costume party. The CEO didn't give the state of the union address as he couldn't hold himself together he was laughing too hard! He loved it and never from that day on missed a chance to tell others about this day. When a new VP would come in and suggest a dress code to rid us of earrings etc it would bring gales of laughter as the memory of that day was never forgotten. It actually changed that VP a lot and he went from being perceived as cold and distant to actually engaging more with his staff. It was a helluva team builder despite management fearing for their jobs that day.

Back to earring issues, IMO, it definitely for the earring wearers (men) was a career limiting move as none of them were promoted that I can recall. It had nothing to do with being perceived as gay as that issue was long dead in that organization and they actually recognized gay partners in their benefit coverages fairly early on before other major employers did and many gay people of both sexes were promoted based purely on their performance. None of the males I know who got promoted and none wore earrings and several were clearly gay but just good at their work.

Are earrings in a corporation a social statement or not I can't say. This was just my experience in a company of some 5000 people and revenues of $3 billion CAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bojak83:
    Thats "Peacock Theory" at work right there. You shoulda told her they cost a few grand, but you know a dealer that can give you a 99.92% discount for $5 a pop.

Guess some girls really digg the ICE, while others think they're disgusting or Kevin Federline-ish....lol
    I hadn't heard of the peacock theory, but I guess it makes perfect sense. I used to feel naked without my earrings on: now I'd feel weird with them on.

what about pearls? hahahah!!!

Believe it or not, pearls are IN this year, even on men if you can pull them off. I think I've seen male model wear them in the new Jil Sander catalog.

Anyway, my advice would be this: know exactly what works on you and what doesn't, don't blindly follow trends use them as guidelines.

See, some men look good with earrings, some don't. If you don't, just don't wear them, it's simple. Really doesn't matter if an item is in or not, if it doesn't suit you, then don't wear them. For example, aviators have been in for a while now, however, if your face is small, I wouldn't recommend them, as they would cover your entire face.

Bottom line is, if you want to figure out if you should wear earrings, try them on for one night and go out. If people look at your odd, or if your friends laugh at you, then you are probably not meant for them. If some chick start hitting on you, then you are golden.

Lorum piercing

All

I am a professional guy with a pierced ear and also nipple, and see nothing wrong with expressing yourself, so long as it does not adversely affect your work - which my piercings don't.

I am wishing to get a lorum piercing next and wonder if you could recommend any place in HK to get this done?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nipplebar:

I am wishing to get a lorum piercing next and wonder if you could recommend any place in HK to get this done?

Thanks
    i had to google lorum.... eeeeeww!