Men with Earrings?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Men with Earrings?

I think in Hong Kong, it is much more rare to see guys with earrings, as compared to, for example, U.S. urban areas (mainly younger men wearing them on the left or both ears)

So I'm curious...what is the cultural perception of this fashion style in Hong Kong? in the UK? in Australia?

Is there a rebel or bad guy or even homo social image attached to this? In the U.S., theres definitely still a bit of a "Thug" notion to these guys, but its been diluted recently as more and more regular people get piercings.

-Question for higher level managers in professional fields, i.e. Banking: Would you not hire a man because he's pierced his ears?

-Question for the ladies: Hot or not Hot? I'm NOT talking about the Mr. Clean look... http://gingersnaps.files.wordpress.c...0/mrclean1.jpg just a plain diamond stud or something.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Not seen many of these in Hong Kong either...

Quote Originally Posted by Bojak83:

-Question for the ladies: Hot or not Hot? I'm NOT talking about the Mr. Clean look... http://gingersnaps.files.wordpress.c...0/mrclean1.jpg just a plain diamond stud or something.
    That picture will give me nightmares about homosexual middle-aged plumbers trying to grope me, probably for the next few weeks.

I had a friend in the UK who had a pierced ear. I thought it was disgusting and told him so regularly.
    Last edited by Sigga; 19-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.

If I was recruiting and a man had pierced ears I don't think it would make any difference. It would depend on the overall look though. But I'm not in banking.

Last edited by hullexile; 19-02-2009 at 03:36 PM.

I wore really large diamond studs until I was 23 or so (one in each ear) but started wearing them less and took my tongue piercing out too. Quite a few guys in HK do have pierced ears, but not as many as in the US. the only comments I got on em in HK were "Wow, those are big" and "Can you get me some?"
    Posted via Mobile Device

yes u will get a 2nd look if u have tongue/lip piercings. but earrings not so much unless they are really odd

I used to take mine out when I got to work as they weren't allowed, but I got fed up and just couldn't be bothered anymore. They can also tear up your earlobes in a fight, which is another reason for why I no longer wear them.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 19-02-2009 at 03:43 PM.

<Claire> Those Suitpant shorts should not be seen anywhere in the world...EVER.

<Sigga> Sorry about the image... What type of earrings did your friend have?

<Hullexile> Thats good to hear, I mean having a pierced ear doesnt diminish someone's ability to do math...or does it?

<JayinHK> You're from NYC, so I'm not surprised. Besides those quite normal comments, did people ever stare at your studs?

im not sure about earrings on a guy over 25. a bit kevin federline! haha

Sure they did, but I never got any negative comments except for people saying they were too big. Some older ppl might say you look gay, but if you're comfortable with your sexuality and your colleagues and clients don't mind, knock yourself out. The 'ice' can be a real icebreaker too: I had a gorgeous girl ask me about 'em at a deli in Times Square in NYC. She looked at em in awe and asked me how much they were. My response: "About $5." I didn't think she could have looked any more surprised, but she did. I shoulda talked to her some more...heh
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast