sacking your maid

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

>> is it common for DH's to pay someone to get them a job in HK?

Yes, very common.

Not sure what the Philippines is like.. but the Indonesian helpers get charged an equivalent of several months worth of salary.

The Philippines has laws about how much agencies can charge potential DHs for finding jobs. If I recall correctly the figure is around 1 or 2 months salary; it's certainly not 9 months, so what is being proposed is illegal.

While I understand your Filipino friend and the fact that she probably needs the money, I would if possible recommend her to try harder and get a job in IT in the Philippines.

The DH route is definitely not a nice one (aside from money which is usually better than what they can get back home) as you end up doing "shitty" work in a country you do not know, for people who do not speak your language and sometimes in conditions that are far from good.

The Philippines really needs educated people that STAY in The Philippines to help the country develops. Easier said than done of course and if the need for money is really too high (as often) she will end up moving to HK or Singapore on a DH work but sincerly hope she can get a decently paid job in The Philippines instead of here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2