PCCW - A thank you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PCCW - A thank you

It is the norm here to blast PCCW with hate and bile for keeping up the HK tradition of bad customer and other service. So - it is with pleasure that I give them a double thumbs up for customer service and installation, having now completed our move from NT to the Island.

Shout out with double thumbs up to Barbara in CS, who was polite, efficient and very helpful. Booked and got an upgrade from 6 to 8mb, Modem router with WiFi ( now waiting for the paperwork to enable that in public spaces ) . Price was lower than paying for the old 6meg services at 234 from 244. She also got to the telephone people and arrange the switch to the lower 66 dollar telephone rate from the 110 dollar I have had since 2006. Even though I wanted the move in a few days from booking, that was handled beautifully with a call back to confirm.

The contractor came ON TIME, was extremely pleasant for a young guy and sorted out Telephone, Now TV and Broadband services in double quick time. The WiFi is a particular revelation having used Linksys products before ( 802.11g ) with frustrations on connectivity and download speed issues. I have no idea what the PCCW ZTE ADSL modem uses as the WiFi but it sure does give me full bore downloads. It has renewed my faith on my Tosh Satellite L30 which used to languish on the shelf and now cuddles up close to me on the sofa rather than shut myself up in the SoHo to deal with stuff on the desktop.

Thanks PCCW -- for now at least !!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

No wonder Barbara of CS was so polite, how long have you been paying 244 for the 6mb?
    I have been paying 162/6mb for so long that I think I will give them a call and rattle their chain
    Let? see what I get for an 8mb

Last edited by kombuchakid; 02-03-2009 at 12:32 PM.

I have to agree with your experience Boris, during all of our moves, having our phone/ISP/cable tv transfered from one property to another, we have never had cause to complain, and the staff have always been polite, ( professional )including the techo bloke that wires it all up on site.....

It often surprises me that PCCW get such a bad rap, by other members of the Sai Yan community...

We must have just been lucky, or maybe it was just that our polite ( undemanding ) communication with PCCW staff was just mutually reciprocated...

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-03-2009 at 12:39 PM.

>> It often surprises me that PCCW get such a bad rap, by other members of the Sai Yan community...

PCCW is just fine as far as consumer stuff goes. Have used their netvigator and other services for the last 15 years .. and have not really had any major reasons to complain.

Problem is .... they try their "$168/6mbps sales tactics" on corporate customers (our bandwidth is about $6K / month) and have left me majorly disappointed. Will try them again in a year or so when we're ready for a major bandwidth upgrade in the office.

I called PCCW on Wednesday and told them I was moving on Sat. They said "We'll come on Sunday, then, and it'll be free." The guy came early, amazingly. He was a bit of a funny little guy, with huge backpack and very limited English, but he did the job (hooking up internet and cable) in about 15 minutes and left.

Pretty happy with that.

We did have trouble with a phone line before though. Poor quality line and they never sent us bills. They would then charge us 200 bucks for non-payment even though we never got the bills. Confirmed the address three times. Bizarre and very annoying.

I pay $208 for 6mb and Now TV with free channels + Discovery + HBO. Is this a good deal or should I also be doing some rattling of my own?

The low prices quoted for 6Meg may be a recent quote ??

I had the original contract started two years ago on an 18 month length, at that seemed the norm at that time, as a friend of the wife worked for PCCW. So - only horses for courses if it matches my situation before --PLUS -- we where in an area ( Ting Kok Tsuen ) that was a PCCW monopoly. Here on the Island there is more competition, nes pas ?

FYI - in the recent news I-Cable has unbeatable offers for BB and TV with free periods etc. I doubt anyone who comes to Geoexpat would make the switch though. As the other providers haven't got into a battle with them they no doubt understand that people want a good service, not poor quality and an impossible cancellation regime. We most certainly didn't even give it any thought, but might have gone to HKBN had time not been short to rearrange all the stuff and transfer numbers.

I was also happy with PCCW's initial installation etc, but after being with them for around three months, I've just found out a few annoying things:

1. They offered me free 2 months wireless broadband and when I said I don't need it 'cause I've got a wireless router, they said 'don't worry, it'll get cut off automatically after two months'. I just found out yesterday that I've been charged $18.00 twice already for a service I didn't use at all(not a big deal but rather a matter of principle);

2. Only found out yesterday that they won't send us the bill for broadband ever unless we ring up and pay $20 a month to get a paper copy(thank God we paid $800 up front and the first bill due luckily is Mar. 16). Then also accidently found out that our account has been automatically added on with two more services: MOOV and MEDIA. And I don't even know what they are; I asked them to cancel these immediately and made it clear to them not to add any new service without our notice in writting;

3. Had a look at our mailbox online for the first time at netvigator.com(we don't use that email address at all), and found out that we might be paying for extra storage fee due to junk mails etc(which are all sent by PCCW's customer service). I quickly deleted them all and found again that even by sitting in Recyled Bin is not good enough as they are still being counted as part of the storage, so had to empty the recyled bin to get rid of them once and for all.

These might be considered very trivial to many people, and I'm not trying to project a negative image on PCCW's general service level(yet to be seen later). I'm just trying to ask those with similiar experience to beware of the above issues and not to pay something that you don't even know existed.

OZTOHK - Welcome the brave new world of an unregulated and fully liberalized telcoms system (in the words of OFTA .. the official licensing authority).

All these companies make a huge amount of cash by making it very easy to sign up to VAS and very very difficult to get rid of them. I still have the 18 HKD wireless router, but I have my own wireless AP. I just can't face to hour long chore of calling them up to have it replaced.
    (Though having said all that, they were fantastic when I moved to Lamma, moving my subscription on time, and reducing my monthly bill too. In the UK I would have been without 'net for about a month AND there would have been a fee and a new contract to boot)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The MOOV and MEDIA that PCCW put on the bill you get free for one month. If you don't cancel them within that time, they continue and you get billed.

We cancelled both immediately but found out PCCW still billed us for one of them for about six months (it only showed up when I printed out the entire bill accidently). I phoned up PCCW, quoted the cancellation number and demanded our money back. It wanted to give it back in 'credit' but after a little persuasion PCCW sent us a cheque for the full amount.

Sometimes PCCW is good, sometimes bad. And sometimes it screws its customers and other times its shareholders.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast