Wedding Dresses for Westerners

Wedding Dresses for Westerners

Hi, I have seen some threads on here talking about Kimberley Rd in TST and I happen to live around the corner from there. However, as a size 12 from the US in dresses, it is nearly impossible for me to buy clothes in HK at all. Can anyone tell me specifically places I could go to try on dresses for this kind of build?

How about getting custom made wedding dresses? Do they really work out? My wedding is in October....

Appreciate the help.

Do what my wife did - fly to the Philippines, get measured and dress made for a fraction of the cost. The tradition is also that the bride never tries the dress on until the ceremony so they are expert at getting measurements correct!

Most dresses are for rental in HK - some are buy/rent or just buy. Point being, they might not be willing to make all that many adjustments because the dresses have to fit the next person. I had to buy really high heels for my wedding dress although I'm already taller than the average HK-er, because they wouldn't adjust the length of my dress. They made other adjustments but I suppose the little line of small holes where they'd taken up the hem, then let it down again - for who, I never quite got as most girls are shorter than me here! - would obviously not go down to well with the next bride renting...

What you can do is go to the Golden Plaza in Prince Edward, (opposite Pioneer Centre) and get a dress of your own made there. Really reasonably priced and lots of shops to choose from.

If you go to Central or Sheung Wan, you're looking at much more expensive and sometimes, designer dresses. There's always Shenzhen as well although I'm one of that rare breed of expats who's never been there so I couldn't recommend a specific tailor!!

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bezel25:
    Hi, I have seen some threads on here talking about Kimberley Rd in TST and I happen to live around the corner from there. However, as a size 12 from the US in dresses, it is nearly impossible for me to buy clothes in HK at all. Can anyone tell me specifically places I could go to try on dresses for this kind of build?

How about getting custom made wedding dresses? Do they really work out? My wedding is in October....

Appreciate the help.
    Hey you! If you're serious about Hullexile's advice, let me know....my aunt lives in Manila and I can ask her for contacts for you. Maybe I might be even be able to go with you! Very excited for you!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will be in Prince Edward this weekend anyway, so will start there.

why fly to The Philippines when you can make one in Shenzhen?

Last edited by Mat; 05-03-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    why fly to The Philippines when you can make one in Shenzhen?
    It was a partly tongue in cheek suggestion, but if you are looking for reasons then I guess language might be a good one. Not being a transvestite (well at least I am not going to admit it on here) then I am not an expert and have never had a dress made in Shenzhen. I can vouch for the quality, fitting and cheapness of at least one wedding dress made in the Philippinnes!