Mobile Contracts - Calling overseas

Closed Thread

Mobile Contracts - Calling overseas

Would anyone know of a good network to join which has competetive overseas calling and texting rate?

Thanks

Most people buy their IDD calls independently of their mobile phone package. And there is very little to choose between networks on International SMS - about HK$1.50/msg.

As to which IDD service to buy then we would need some indication of the destinations you going to call.

It depends which countries you call most.

I got the 'Three' IDD saver package.
    It comes with 800 mins a month which includes my IDD calls to countries like Singapore, China, USA (includes both landline and mobile), while countries like UK, france and others I dun remember (landline only)
    It costs me $148 a mth.

Or CSL has a good prepaid sim card that has good prices for IDD calls. Check out their website for more details.

Hope that helps.

Thank you so much, mostly my calls would be to Australia. I think I will give 3 a go.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by angela_c:
    Thank you so much, mostly my calls would be to Australia. I think I will give 3 a go.

Cheers
    What PDLM is saying, in simple English, is that in HK you can purchase an IDD rate and use it with a mobile without it costing more. In fact, my IDD rate is LOWER if I call from a mobile than from my landline.....

And the IDD rates are heaps cheaper than the "mobile" rates themselves.

No point in paying for 800 minutes if you only use 20....

This is the one I use (originally recommended by PDLM)

http://www.idtasia.net/en-HK/residential/
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 03-03-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Just for the record, although IDT's offer is still OK, it's not as good as it was since they now round up to whole minutes (which everyone else does, but until recently with IDT you only paid for the seconds you used). You now need to look route by route, and, if you can be bothered, see if you can get special deals. For example, Mrs PDLM is currently using 0060 to call the Philippines because PCCW offered us a deal where you could get 100mins/month for $98, which is about 20% cheaper than any others that we have found and fine for us since she uses several hundred minutes a month (so no chance of not using the committed volume).

One bad thing about PCW is that recently they have begun taking the money from my credit card about 2 days BEFORE they sent me the electronic statement, which I think is well out of order. IDT sends you your bill and debits your credit card 14 days later.

depending on who you are calling (i.e. if its a specific person all the time) have a look at this service:

Cheap international calls - Rebtel provider - Rebtel

i use it when i'm in the uk to call back to certain people in hk.

the "smart calling" option is pretty useful.

if you do decide to use it, i think i get some sort of referral, so pm me for referral information (btw pm'ing me is optional).