Island Harbourview

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Island Harbourview

Hi, I would like to hear from people who are familiar with Island Harbourview, probably have stayed or visited the place before.

As I read the Forum in GoHome, there are many comments appear to be conflicting.

So, your honest opinion about the place would be highly appreciated.

I'm moving to Hong Kong in September... so doing some searching on apartment. My budget is about 10-12K for 600-700 sqf. Priority is a nice place for my wife and daughter.

Cheers,

Thumbs up It is ok!

I lived there for 6 months.

It is nice, pleasant, quiet, clean and safe. The security is excellent and the management staff are helpful and polite.

It has good sports facilities. Especially the outdoor swimming pool. They have a gymn, tennis courts and badminton courts if i remember correctly. Also a small park and play area for children.

It takes no time at all to reach Central on the MTR. Maybe 5 minutes on the MTR.

It is also 5 or 10 minutes walk to 2 large shopping malls where there are cinemas, bowling alleys, restaurants (McDonalds, Italian restaurants, Chinese food, Japanese food etc) and shops, basically everything you will ever need. The malls are very pleasant and safe, but a bit boring.

For a change in scenery, you can walk to Mong Kong in approx 15 minutes where it is much livelier. Mong Kok is far away enough not to cause you any worries though.

The only downside of Island Harbour View is the 5 to 10 minute walk to Olympic MTR station from Island Harbour View and a further 5 minute walk from Hong Kong Station to Central MTR station. I know it does not sound like much walking but it gets annoying after a while, especially during rush hour. In London it used to take me longer to walk to tube station but I never complained, I guess that living in Hong Kong makes u impatient and lazy.

A taxi ride home from Central will cost you just under HK$100 including tunnel fee which is ok.

Since you are going to live there with your family it will be a good choice and you will not go wrong. Only downside is the walking to and from the MTR stations. Also, you might be a little far away from the expat communities in HK, do not know if you will consider that a problem.

Good luck

Thanks

Hi, Maddogmerrick.

Many thanks to your generous sharing about the place - it's the most complete review that I have come across so far.

Island Harbourview will definitely be one of the places I will consider. For your information, I'm also considering Kornhill, Tai Koo Shing, and Laguna. A decision will only be made after I visit all four locations when I start work in September.

Cheers,

Good Place to live

Hi,

Island harbourview is definitely a good place to live in. I have stayed there for almost a year from overseas and do not have major issues. Beautiful pool, good gym and club house...security very good....

So, hope you find a comfortable place to live in cos living condition affects one's mood.

Hi,
    You didn't ask, but IME I would think it's tough to find something in TKS on that budget. Although the estate is >20 yrs old, its quite stable with many Japanese expats and local, I've seen rental prices at ~18k for 800 sq ft. Kornhill (or just next door, Kornhill Gardens) may be more affordable for similar layout & condition apartments. I found when living there it was fine with the Cityplaza shopping complex and Jusco nearby, but if your interests extend to Central or Tsim Sha Tsui, the MTR ride to get there might put you off after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by formula18:
    Hi, Maddogmerrick.

Many thanks to your generous sharing about the place - it's the most complete review that I have come across so far.

Island Harbourview will definitely be one of the places I will consider. For your information, I'm also considering Kornhill, Tai Koo Shing, and Laguna. A decision will only be made after I visit all four locations when I start work in September.

Cheers,

Cool

I live near IHV in Central Park/Park Avenue which is on the other side of the Olympic MTR station. IHV is quieter but further away from the larger Olympic Mall (phase2). So if you are lazy like me, you might to consider CP/PA. Btw, it is is very local HK environment here with minimal expats around. This may force you to pick up some simple cantonese.

The thing about the Tungchung MTR line is that it isn't as frequent as the other HK MTR lines. So you may end up waiting up to 10 minutes for a train.

But overall, I think this area is one of the better place on the Kowloon side, in terms of convenience and value for your money. The propertyies above Kowloon station are priced at a different level and there's not even a supermarket in their mall yet.

does island harborview have a website?

address?

im looking for something similar to this for a budget of 10K max, but prefer about 7 or 8K

how is the environment and the noise level there? On the map it looks quiete close to the high way and MTR! Are there any goods schools nearby?

hi Panda05,

i've lived on both central park and island harbourview...been around this area for the past 5 years!

on comparison, i prefer island harbourview. i find it really peaceful and quiet. central park is too close to the mall and sometimes the noise from the events in the mall travels to the apartment esp. during the weekends.

to be fair, walking to the train station is approx. the same...just that from CP, you hit the mall sooner!

all in all, it depends on what you really need...over here, you can find everything you need within walking distance. but you will also need to consider where your work place is. if you work in Central over at hong kong side, congratulations, the train journey is but 5 mins. although the train waiting time at off peak hours is 10 mins, it is only about 2-3 mins during peak hours.

rental wise, for a 600-800sqft apartment, prices will cost you around 14k-25k.

good luck with the house hunting!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast