Advertising in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Advertising in Hong Kong

Hey guys,

Just want to discuss about the advertising industry in hk. From what i see most things are still quite traditional here..like selling cosmetics and hair products uses the same formula over and over again. Just havent seen some more outstanding work. Anyone knows of any good ones to share it with me??? Is it because the creatives are not creative or is it because the culture here is too traditional or is it because the culture is too traditional tha have trained creatives to become like that???Or any other reasons i havent thought of yet. Not blaming anyone just want to discuss and share our thoughts. Cheers mates...

My agency friends tell me that the problem usually lies with the clients ( and its always the clients isnt it? ).

Not many clients as for the mild to wild type range of proposals .. it is usually mild, mild and milder.

And don't get me started about how spectacularly uninformed they are when it comes to digital ...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    My agency friends tell me that the problem usually lies with the clients ( and its always the clients isnt it? ).

Not many clients as for the mild to wild type range of proposals .. it is usually mild, mild and milder.

And don't get me started about how spectacularly uninformed they are when it comes to digital ...
    We should better educate the clients. Also why would they hire someone if they dont fully trust them???its kind of stupid or everyone justl likes to boss other pplz around?? Did your friends ever tried conviencing them??i believe a good designer should stand by to what he/she thinks its best for the client and sell to them...mild mild and milder...reminds me of eating sand paper..the thought of it that is...how uninformed are they?I want to know. I would expect clients to have none or little knowledge about it or else they wont be looking for professionals...

I want to see some more spark in hk...i have seen a few sad ones...like using peer pressure to sell and just more lame ones....I need to thank my peers for educating me to become a better designer...

Quote Originally Posted by freefaller:
    i believe a good designer should stand by to what he/she thinks its best for the client and sell to them
    That may make a good designer, but it probably doesn't make a good businessman. If money isn't important to you then by all means stand by your principles, otherwise I think you'll find yourself having to compromise rather fast once you are in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That may make a good designer, but it probably doesn't make a good businessman. If money isn't important to you then by all means stand by your principles, otherwise I think you'll find yourself having to compromise rather fast once you are in the real world.
    Thats true..only when you are powerful enough anyone would listen to you....does that mean in hk it is just following orders to earn money however wrong the concept may be??

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    This is spot on. I have designer friends and they pretty much accept that if they get one or two clients a year that trust them implicitly it's a good year. The rest of the time they have to put up with stupid comments like 'my wife/brother/mother thinks pink would be a better colour' etc etc.

Having said that I have also met my fair share of stupid designers who don't get what they are being paid 'to sell' or what the client is telling them and come up with the most ridiculous ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal:
    This is spot on. I have designer friends and they pretty much accept that if they get one or two clients a year that trust them implicitly it's a good year. The rest of the time they have to put up with stupid comments like 'my wife/brother/mother thinks pink would be a better colour' etc etc.

Having said that I have also met my fair share of stupid designers who don't get what they are being paid 'to sell' or what the client is telling them and come up with the most ridiculous ideas.
    thanks for understanding my pain...i knew stuff like that was gonna happen ever since i was in uni....ahhh....sigh...