I've found a helper - do I need an agency for the paperwork?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've found a helper - do I need an agency for the paperwork?

Hi there,

We did a few interviews this weekend and found a couple of helpers we really like. From these discussions, it seems we need to complete paperwork with the one we choose before their visas run out, then for them to return to the Philippines while waiting for processing. We'd then purchase them a ticket back to HK. Have I got this right?

Also, is it compulsory for us to use an agency to complete the paperwork? I hadn't planned too, but one of the helpers we're considering mentioned she thought it was as some paperwork has to go to the Phil. consulate?

Any ideas of the fees associated with this? I hear a medical is involved as well?

I've had a read of the HK immigration site, and seen bits and pieces of info online and in threads here, but advice from anyone who has gone through this process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by SJK; 08-03-2009 at 01:43 PM.

if the helper is already here, you do not need to use an agency. yes, some paper work goes to the phil consulate before it can go to immig.

i'm surprised your potential helper said to use an agency as most helpers know what is involved.

Thanks,
    I might have misunderstood what she meant, but my impression was that for the proportion of the paperwork that has to go to the consulate here, that had to be sent by an agency? Maybe it's just easier that way? From what I've just read online, it seems you can just walk the paperwork in.

For an existing helper I think they can just get the forms from the consulate and get you to sign, complete your bit and take it in. No need for a medical or an agency.

Yes if the helper is here already, it is very easy.

Your helper can do all the paperwork herself, go to the consulate to get paperwork, I think we spent like a few hundred dollars only.

If your helper's previous contract was terminated due to employers leaving etc, then she doesn't need to go back to her home country. You just need a letter from new employer for the immigration, stating the reasons why you need her to start urgently, and that's it.

No need to pay agency fees.....at all.

my helper just renewed her contract with us... she did all the work after i filled in the blanks. VERY EASY.

If my proposed helper is returning home, I understand she will need to undergo a physical as part of the processing. How much should I expect to pay for this?

Also, for the Philippines consulate paperwork, the website says I need to include the plane ticket back to HK for the helper to commence work. I don't know which date yet, as it will depend on the processing time, and open/changable tickets are usually more expesive, so is there an option here? Can I write a letter stating I'll purchase the ticket later etc.?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJK:
    If my proposed helper is returning home, I understand she will need to undergo a physical as part of the processing. How much should I expect to pay for this?

Also, for the Philippines consulate paperwork, the website says I need to include the plane ticket back to HK for the helper to commence work. I don't know which date yet, as it will depend on the processing time, and open/changable tickets are usually more expesive, so is there an option here? Can I write a letter stating I'll purchase the ticket later etc.?

Thanks
    When my helper did her own paperwork she did it in a day at the Consulate and then a trip to the immigration dept. I can't remember how much the physical cost the first time but it is not a lot. A few hundred dollars tops. Of course it depends what they find!!

Just to update - the Philippines consulate confirmed today that I must use an agency

Quote Originally Posted by SJK:
    Just to update - the Philippines consulate confirmed today that I must use an agency
    I don't think that is correct. To the best of my knowledge, Filipino helpers do NOT need to use an Agent if they (or the employer) process the visa themselves even if the helper leaves HK before taking up her new job provided the application is lodged with Immigration before the helper leaves HK.

Indonesian helpers, however, need to use an Agency whatever the circumstances.

The requirement to use Agencies is not set by HK Immigration but by the individual governments themselves. As far as I can see it is purely a money-making exercise and gives agencies little incentive to speed up applications especially if a helper has to leave HK to go to Macau or China and stay in a boarding house run by the agency. More cash in the coffers. Why resolve a case in 4 weeks when you can drag it out for 6 and squeeze a bit more rent out of the helper?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast