How do I get my locked suitcase (with lost key) unlocked/picked/bashed open?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What brand is it? If it is Samasonite suitcase then you are in luck because they all use the same key, borrow a key from your frineds...

Statuecollector: good point, but no, it isn't a Samsonite - I had thought of that too, because I know Samsonite shops do do minor repairs etc for their own products, but sadly it's a common garden, non-descript, no-brand suitcase with the sort of lock that is like dated 200 years ago.

So it appears I'll have to reprise Texas Chainsaw Massacre... or perhaps wtbhotia's idea (thanks!). But before I take my (very dodgy, if you know me) chances with DIY... there isn't a shop in the whole of resourceful, capable, creative, anything-goes HK that I can wheel this into and get it sorted out? *hopeful look*

Wait a minute - Samsonite suitcases *all use the same key*??? You're kidding! So much for their luggage security! It's like a free-for-all TSA lock! Live and learn. :-) Thanks for letting me know!

I tell you - number combinations is the way to go......

Quote Originally Posted by fluffy cushion:
    there isn't a shop in the whole of resourceful, capable, creative, anything-goes HK that I can wheel this into and get it sorted out? *hopeful look*
    Like I said, a locksmith. Any locksmith in town could open a piece of s**t like that. It would be cheaper to pick it yourself, of course. By now, you could have learned how and opened about 20 different suitcases.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I had a suitcase with a lock like that. HK customs managed to break the lock without the slightest problem and without even trying.

I have found that some suitcase brands have the same key - can you try and purchase another key?

Otherwise I would go to a key cutter (maybe one of those little shops in the lanes)...

Good luck.

Oze_Kid - yup, I think I'm going to try a locksmith/key cutter (one thing about HK is that it *is* full of little shops in little lanes!), before pulling out the screwdriver and hammer, even if I could do with a little stress relief myself these days. Thanks for all the suggestions!