auto/motorcycle taxes/registration etc.etc...

Closed Thread

auto/motorcycle taxes/registration etc.etc...

so can someone give me the rundown/rate of purchasing a car/motorccycle? (oh, and the diff. between buying new/used in terms of taxes etc)

for example- back in the states- the advertised price is just the price of the automobile. when you go to the dept. of motor vehicles- you pay the state tax to them, then pay a small fee for registration of the vehicle...and insurance you do on your own.

also- financing a vehicle back home from a dealer means you can put the entire price of vehicle/tax into the financing..is that the same as here.

appreciate all the help. have the itch for either a sporty little car, or just going for a motorcycle=)

Last edited by campas12; 11-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Before you can legally register a car ( I assume used ) you will need to have an insurance policy already organised. once you have purchased the car, and your insurance is all sorted, then you can visit any Transport Dept branch, and transfer the vehicle into your name with a fee of $1000.00.

Annual vehicle licence fees below.
    Transport Department - Fees & Charges

If the vehicle is over 6 years old, you will also need to maintain a yearly MOT inspection ( vehicle bill of health ), which last 12 months.

Motorcycles I can't offer any real advice on, I suggest you have a browse of http://www.td.gov.hk Transport Department website

Last edited by Skyhook; 11-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    also- financing a vehicle back home from a dealer means you can put the entire price of vehicle/tax into the financing..is that the same as here.

appreciate all the help. have the itch for either a sporty little car, or just going for a motorcycle=)
    You can get financing for the full vehicle price, road tax, tranfership of owner and even insurance, it all depends on how good your credit is.

for motorcycles, the yearly road tax is $1314 regardless of CC size and transfer of ownership is $250. You need to get a min 3rd party insurance before you can register and transfer ownership, once you have a 3rd party insurance, you can take the cover note and get the bike transfered to your name.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 11-03-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    You can get financing for the full vehicle price, road tax, tranfership of owner and even insurance, it all depends on how good your creidt is.

for motorcycles, the yearly road tax is $1314 regardless of CC size and transfer of ownership is $250. You need to get a min 3rd party insurance before you can register and transfer ownership, once you have a 3rd party insurance, you can take the cover note and get the bike transfered to your name.

i've only been here for 6 mo's but so far so good (in terms of credit). then again if it's bike i'm going for i'll probably skip on buying new (just saw that tax is 35%?!?!!?- i'm used to paying about 6-8% on vehicle tax!!) any online sites for motorcycle insurance?

For insurance, most of us, if not all, use Kwiksure - Online Insurance Supermarket Give Anthony or Neil Raymond a call...