Being overcharged by Hong Kong Post?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Question Being overcharged by Hong Kong Post?

    We've recently purchased a miniature scale to determine the exact weight of our goods to be shipped through Hong Kong Post. To be honest, we never really cared before, but with the way the economy is tanking and our profit overhead shrinking by the month, we have to determine where to cost-cut.

    We regularly ship items that weigh approximately 150g according to our scale, which according to the postage calculator at the Hong Kong Post website, costs about $16.10 HKD to ship as a small packet.

    However, we've been consistently charged about $21.90 HKD to ship these items, so I was wondering if we were doing something wrong in the process. I've noticed that the Postage Calculator FAQ states that the words SMALL PACKET is to be written on the package and also must be capable of being opened without breaking any seals..

    The thing is, we have never written SMALL PACKET on any of our shipments, and we do typically seal it as the little string doesn't give us to much confidence in safety.

    Is this why we're being charge the extra $6?

    ~

    I also have a thread in regards to bulk shipping discounts that would appreciate some input here, while we're on the topic of shipping. It can be found here on GeoExpat.

    Last edited by turtlewax_15; 11-03-2009 at 12:19 PM.

  2. #2

    I decided to call Hong Kong Post and managed to speak to a representative that knew what I was talking about. His English was decent enough for me to get the gist of what he was saying, but I surely missed out on a lot of the information he was relaying to me.

    So it seems the price quoted in the Hong Kong Post website is for something he called "open-ended airmail", in which the contents must not be sealed and contain no personal or identifiable documentation inside. This means that I cannot seal my mailers with tape, and not include any sort of receipt, etc. inside. Apparently, the premium I've been paying is something he calls "secondary airmail"..

    Anyways, if you ladies & gentlemen have any input on this - it would be great. Perhaps if you know, you can elaborate a bit more on the subject.

    Last question, if I don't seal those mailers and only use the string to lock it up, have you guys had fairly good success with items not falling out?


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlewax_15:

    Last question, if I don't seal those mailers and only use the string to lock it up, have you guys had fairly good success with items not falling out?
    Just a thought but .. we have "internal mail" envelopes in our office which have a little flap and a round button of cardboard and a string that you wind around the button to close it ... I find this closure to be almost as good as tape but it is obviously easy to undo! You could try looking into these (if you don't already, obviously)

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong.
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Just a thought but .. we have "internal mail" envelopes in our office which have a little flap and a round button of cardboard and a string that you wind around the button to close it ... I find this closure to be almost as good as tape but it is obviously easy to undo! You could try looking into these (if you don't already, obviously)
    I believe those (or regular envelopes with the same closure) are what the OP was talking about/using already...

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,934
    Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    I believe those (or regular envelopes with the same closure) are what the OP was talking about/using already...
    oh - ok - I thought the OP meant they tie up packages with string. No worries, then in answer to his question, I think they are a fine closure mechanism for non-valuable items.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    薄扶林
    Posts
    48,340

    Might make sense to take a package down to one of the larger post office where you can find someone who speaks english and ask them what is the best and cheapest way to post it.


  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    23,205

    The definition of "Small Packet" seems pretty clear to me in the Hong Kong Post Office Guide.


  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    295

    I received mail from HK in one of those envelopes closed with string. What shocked me was that the contents were still IN it! Our postal system is not known for it's 'honesty'
    Posted via Mobile Device


  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The definition of "Small Packet" seems pretty clear to me in the Hong Kong Post Office Guide.
    Thanks for the link.

    The Small Packet post is specially provided for the transmission of goods (including trade
    samples), whether dutiable or not, in the same mail as Printed Papers, which as a rule travel
    more quickly than the parcel mail.
    Would you say the "same mail as Printer Papers" refers to the physical mailer itself (in this case, does this indicate bubble mailers do not qualify?), or a reference to the mail service itself?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    11,884
    Quote Originally Posted by XI_YAN:
    I received mail from HK in one of those envelopes closed with string. What shocked me was that the contents were still IN it! Our postal system is not known for it's 'honesty'
    Posted via Mobile Device
    In my experience, HK has one of the most helpful and accurate postal systems in the world. Far ahead of most Western countries.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast