furnished or not??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face furnished or not??

Am moving to HK in August. I shall be teaching.Just curious.Is it worth renting a furnished apartment or furnishing by self? with the help of IKEA of course!! I would appreciate any advice.

in my opinion furnished house is better. no tensions at all.

furniture

Quote Originally Posted by wiganchick:
    .......the help of IKEA of course!!
    hi,

The main problem with furniture from "that" shop and similar is the local humidity, fine with the air-conditioning running, but when off the MDF, also know as particule board absorbs moisture from air causing damage - MDF last very long here.

Regarding furnished or otherwise it would be wise to consider that you will be responisible for the maintenance repair and upkeep of the landlords appliances etc.

search for LANDLORD and you will turn up a lot of information.

cheers,

That's an interesting assertion. My apartment is almost entirely furnished in MDF based items, principally from IKEA, but also one or two others from elsewhere. I have had problems with mould on the ceilings and on clothes, but I have never had a problem with MDF expanding due to water absorbtion. Some of my IKEA items have been assembled and disassembled multiple times in about 5 countries in the last 10 years, with the last 6 years in HK, and, frankly, they are pretty much as good as new.

IMO you can debate whether you like the design of IKEA stuff, but the basic quality is absolutely solid.

Furniture is pretty cheap in Hong Kong, but something you should consider is the cost of removing it if you will eventually be leaving. If you aren't taking it back to London, you will have to pay to have it taken away (i.e. no leaving it at the dumpster in your building, probably).

If you are going to take it with you, I'd suggest upgrading from Ikea to something custom made to your desires. It really doesn't cost all that much more to get something nice that you will take back with you.

Thanks for your advice ...I will probably go with the furnished option unless I plan to stay for a while
    Thanks again:-)

Red face Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's an interesting assertion. My apartment is almost entirely furnished in MDF based items, principally from IKEA, but also one or two others from elsewhere. I have had problems with mould on the ceilings and on clothes, but I have never had a problem with MDF expanding due to water absorbtion. Some of my IKEA items have been assembled and disassembled multiple times in about 5 countries in the last 10 years, with the last 6 years in HK, and, frankly, they are pretty much as good as new.

IMO you can debate whether you like the design of IKEA stuff, but the basic quality is absolutely solid.
    Thanks...for your advice.....I will probably rent a furnished apartment and then take it from there if I stay longer

Red face Thanks

I shall probably rent a furnished apartment and then take it from there if I stay for quite a while:-)
    Thanks again:-)

Red face Thank -you

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

Thanks for your advice :-)

Thanks...I shall bare that in mind:-)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast