flying question...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Golfduke - surely u wouldnt mind sitting in a sealed location for 15 hrs if u have good company. LIKE *MOI*..WAHAHAHA...I'll keep u well-entertained

haha, okok, whoever wants to drop HK$15,XXX to help me battle my flight woes is surely welcome to come along, hehe. I will even pay for food and drink...

Oi...u should be the one paying for whoever gona keep u awake!!!

awake??? but i wanna sleep on the plane! i just wanna stumble into my seat, eat my meal, put on some music, and wake up on the ground... Is that too much to ask?

thanks anyways though Mina, but someone else already offered to keep me entertained

Aww...how can u do that Golfduke...i thought..... Sniff sniff... LOL...

*evil laugh*

golfduke must be loving this shit!

Last edited by angiebaby80; 21-07-2005 at 05:21 PM.

I also wholeheartedly recommend the don't-sleep-the-night-before strategy. It works for me everytime. I still feel like sh!t after the flight but if you are zonked out, then it helps kill time.

OK, if you are consistently flying 60K every year, then you need to consolidate your flying on one carrier or one airline alliance (i.e., Star, oneworld, or Skyteam). Get elite status (midtier is usually 50K miles per year) and then pray for complimentary upgrades or use your miles to upgrade yourself. As far as I know, the best airline for upgrades is Cathay Pacific since they frequently oversell coach. At the midtier elite level, you usually get 100% bonus miles with the North American frequent flier programs (not Cathay Pacific though), so one flight at ~20K miles return HKG-BOS will yield you 40K miles, almost enough to upgrade both directions (based on a cost of 30K miles each way). If you were to stick with United or American, then there are other ways to upgrade that will cost money but not as much as 30K miles each way.

Another nice perk with elite status is that you are able to pre-reserve certain (better) economy seats in advance.

Lastly, choose your aircraft carefully. Not all planes are created equal. A plane with the seat back videos will make your flight a lot easier than a plane with a common movie screen for all passengers. And if none of this works, try sleeping pills, drinking yourself silly, and/or buying a pair of noise reduction headphones from Bose for a few hundred dollars.

i fly CX for all international and Dragonair for all inter-China, and i do get bumped up most of the time. If not, I have pretty much infinite airmiles (something like 240,000 plus I can transfer my HSBC points if needed) and am a gold member...

unfortunately it still happens to me in business class. I mean, its a lot more comfortable, but still get restlessness...

Thanks a lot for the replies, and I will certainly try it out again.

Have some camomile tea?

That always puts me to sleep.

The problem with me and flying is backpain.

avoid caffeine...milk helps, too. i have a favorite 'herbal remedy' that I can't get too specific about, but if you're bright, you'll know what I mean

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 21-07-2005 at 09:06 PM.