Wiring money

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wiring money

Hey all, I'm new here to HK I've lived here about a week. I have a bank in the states with all my savings in it, the bank is Washington Mutual. I just opened an account at HSBC and I need to wire money into it so that i can pay the downpayment etc on my apartment. How long do these wires usually take, are there any recommended ways you suggest I do the wire? I've never done one before so any information or help would be appreciated.

Wires should take 24 to 48 hours. You need the SWIFT code for your HK bank and you're all set.

Thanks a lot Knowitall. Much appreciated.

Ok, but how much % is the cost involved?

I just wired $$ from my Washington account and there's a $40 transfer fee.

$40 bucks ain't bad for how much i need wired hehe. On a completely unrelated note, anyone know how i can dial a 800 number? I'm trying to dial my bank 800.540.WAMU1 (800.540.92681).

I've tried to dial the number with a calling card from my hotel and from a payphone with no success. Here's what i've tried:

001 800 540 92681
    001 1 800 540 92681

Each time i get to the "5" I get a rapid busy signal. Any suggestions? I need to get this money wired tomorow. Thanks!

Well, I've finally figgured out how to call them, but they won't initiate a wire transfer unless I physically walk into a branch. I guess they don't understand me when I say i'm 7000 miles away

I'm in a pickle here. I need to get money but there are no Washington Mutual banks here in HK. Do you think that Bank of America would honor a check from WaMu? I checked with HSBC and they won't.

Other than that, does anyone have any other ideas as to how to trasnfer money? I've got an apartment lease to sign on tuesday, so I'm kinda in a bind! Thanks.

Clay, Don't you have an ATM card? Just withdraw money through the ATM.

The most I can get out at once is $3700 HK per day and I need a lot more than that

Tomorow I'll go to Bank of America and see if they'll honor my WaMu check. If not, looks like I'll have to call a friend or my father in the states and have them wire me some money. I think that's my only option!

Yep. Western Union (which is expensive) or wire to your account.

BoA (HK) will not accept US$ checks from anyone who is not known to them. Even if they accept checks, they will send them to the US for collection, which can take 3 to 4 weeks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast