Racist Alert!

Closed Thread

Racist Alert!

I never thought there are still people like these & from HK...

Filipina maids working as $3,580-a-month cheap labor in Hong Kong. As a nation of servants, you don’t flex your muscles at your master, from whom you earn most of your bread and butter.
    The War At Home | HK-magazine.com

read also

Politically Incorrect with Chip Tsao - The Vintage Year | HK-magazine.com
    Last edited by mengfei; 28-03-2009 at 01:45 PM.

um... what do you suppose "Politically Incorrect" means?

I believe it's meant to be satire, but it isn't a very good attempt at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo:
    um... what do you suppose "Politically Incorrect" means?

the use of expressions or actions that can be perceived to exclude or marginalize or insult groups who are socially disadvantaged or discriminted against

satire or not, this kind of stuff could stir up political unrest

There is another thread on this the writer is clearly not being serious

All those running in circles like Chicken Little and rascist alert are a bit over the top.

The article is neither demeaning or rascist in content or intent. If anything, it makes a bit of a knock on the low wages paid to hard working Filipino maids and yes knocks the Phillipines for their stance on these islands, etc but to call this racist is a joke.

I agree with Football. This guy is always irreverant and thank god for people like him. The world has gone mad being politically correct all the time. I don't get angry when he takes the piss out of stupid expats. I end up laughing along with him. It's all good fun and as someone else pointed out, his column is titled politically incorrect. If you can't read it with a sense of humour just don't read it.

It's bad satire and it's classist. To even jokingly call a maid's employer a "master" when so many domestic workers in HK and elsewhere suffer from physical abuse at the hands of their employers ... is simply offensive. To even jokingly assert that Chinese are superior to Filipinos simply because many Filipinos work in blue-collar and domestic jobs is classist.

Imagine you were a black American. If a white American were to say to you, "As a nation of servants, don't flex your muscles at your master," no matter how "jokingly" the speaker said it, wouldn't you find it offensive?