Like Tree8Likes

Annoying HSBC Security Device

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by sxc:
    I must say I don't know why everyone who moves to HK seems to gravitate to hsbc. Ok it's a global brand but we all know that it means nothing and patticularly in the case of hsbc there are very few benefits when it comes to dealing with hsbc overseas as they virtually operate autonomously.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Because they have branches everywhere. Also, they often have ATMS in locations where there are no banks, trusted and secure brand, simple no frills multi currency accounts, which are easy and hassle free to set up and manage. Easy to do your banking through the ATMs and the website. That's why! I was going to leave them because I thought their phone service was rubbish but once I got into the habit of internet and ATM banking - no problem! As for queues at the ATMs, I have to admit that this can be true but again, I have learned that lunchtime and rush hours are the times to avoid them! While I can't say the same about teller queues which can be incredible in Hong Kong I have to say that I have often seen longer ATM queues in the UK. I think maybe they look longer here with 40 people in queue for 5 machines but I'm quite sure that I've never been in a queue of more than say, 6 or 7 people at an ATM in HK. Must admit, people tend to faff about for a bit longer at ATMs here though, bank transfers and so on...

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Also, they often have ATMS in locations where there are no banks
    The bit about ATM's is not true, since all the banks in HK (except for HSBC and Hang Seng) are part of the JETCO network and can be used free of charge. This means if you are with HSBC or Hang Seng, you are at a disadvantage and have access to fewer ATM's than any other bank in HK.

Bryant.English: for all the points you raise, all of them hold true for my banks and they outperform HSBC in all the points without the crap paperwork that needs to ve presented in person at the branch after waiting 30 minutes in the queue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

i used to find it a hassle on the paper work to be filed when i want to add a payee, especially when i am overseas.

but thinking out loud, there are real objectives to such a procedure. The main one being that if your account has been compromised for one reason or another (i.e. both pass words and token been taken over by someone) then the best ATM way to rip off your assets is thru 1. adding a payee, 2. paying into that account, 3. withdrawing and closing that account then bail out.

so in that context, what hsbc does is indeed an added layer of protection especially for people like myself who tend not to check my account for months at a time (when not in hk).

It's a bit childish to play the game of "my bank is better than yours". That's the beauty of competition, you find the one that meets your need best and that's the end of that. I've been with over a dozen banks in my life and frankly, to me it's 4 quarters to a dollar. They each have their own advantages and disadvantages. HSBC suits me at the moment, if I feel it doesn't work anymore, I'll switch over in a heartbeat which I indicated on a couple of occasions to them to bring about quicker actions on a couple of issues.

At the end of the day all banks are businesses who are after your money.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Banks are not the only thing after your money in this city. Atleast the banks return it and offer capital protection (well to a certain degree)

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Banks are businesses that need to make money to run their operations and provide services to their clients..

Same as any other business (lawyers included :-))

I'm fine with banks making money...but the easier it is for me to deal with them, the easier it is for them to make money off me.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11