Why are Hong Kong people sooooo selfish?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

let me help you and hope that you don't think we are soooooooo selfish. its more of a cultural thing.

in your example #1 - how am i suppose to know that the person behind wants to have a look too? all you have to do is ask or wait when i am done then you can move up. if there are 87 people behind me, when do i get to have a look if i move out the way every time. nothing about being selfish.

example #2 - you are assuming that the umbrellas are their to protect us from the rain. not true. we pop them up so we don't get stab in the eye from other umbrellas. don't you know only hong kong people can die from the rain. just get a bigger umbrella.

Last edited by lulumay; 02-04-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Welcome to Hong Kong.

Ok, let me give you another example

Example number 2. One time I went to one of the libraries in town with my friend on a Sunday for doing some studies. There was almost no people at all in the library except that the so called silent rooms for "two people” was full. As the silent room for "three people” was all empty we thought it was no problem, we can take one of them. So wrong we had! It was absolutely impossible to take the room for three people because, of couuuuurse, the responsible person cannot go against the ”holy” rules, not even if the library is almost empty. Pleasssse for once use your own thinking sometimes. What the h-ll is the difference of having two people inside of a room for three, would me and my friend destroy the interior somehow? It just feels that nobody really care about other people and are further not flexible at alllllllllll. I am not finished and can soon give you more examples…

Either your new to Hong Kong or...

Quote Originally Posted by Mircolan:
    Example number 2. One time I went to one of the libraries in town with my friend on a Sunday for doing some studies. There was almost no people at all in the library except that the so called silent rooms for "two people” was full. As the silent room for "three people” was all empty we thought it was no problem, we can take one of them. So wrong we had! It was absolutely impossible to take the room for three people because, of couuuuurse, the responsible person cannot go against the ”holy” rules, not even if the library is almost empty. Pleasssse for once use your own thinking sometimes. What the h-ll is the difference of having two people inside of a room for three, would me and my friend destroy the interior somehow? It just feels that nobody really care about other people and are further not flexible at alllllllllll. I am not finished and can soon give you more examples…
    doesnt that make you more selfish? using a 3 person silent room for only 2 people?!?! jeeez! you're like wasting a whole seat!

i dont think this is an example of selfishness - jobsworthiness maybe.

I used to think that HK people were selfish too, but sometimes you have to do the same to survive here. It can be construed as selfishness or it can be seen as surviving because as in most big cities, being nice doesnt get you very far...

Quote Originally Posted by Mircolan:
    You just wanted a room to have a quick shag innit come on admit it, you said the common area was empty but u still wanted a room.

Ready for...

...example number 3. Somehow Hong Kong people have already decided for themselves that, what they call ”western people” as me are very, very, very rich. This is also so irritating. I am definitely not rich and am only made of blood and bones as everybody else. To me this is troublesome because no matter where I go, if it is a restaurant, travelling agency a hotel or anything that I need to pay for will I almost direct be given a list with the highest prices. The staff that are working in these places have assumed that since I am ”western” I also have plenty of money. That is so wrong, because I don’t have!!! Listen NOW I don’t have!!! After at least two times have told the staff that I am interested in cheap offers I finally, if I am lucky, can be offered the same prices as ordinary Hong Kong people. To me Hong Kong people have loads of preconceptions about almost anything, which is sometimes very, very incorrect. This thinking makes me sooo angry! It feels like Hong Kong people too easily categorize people, and please I don’t feel for being categorized completely wrong. I can see very clear where Hong Kong people’s interception of western people have started from, since a lot of westerners have before as well as now arrived Hong Kong because of business. But do you know what??? These people are just a few. Ordinary citizens from where I come from can’t even afford going to Hong Kong. So as a student here in Hong Kong I am only an exception. To me this is also selfish thinking...

These examples make you sound incredibly selfish, or am I missing something?

Okay, I'll play along with the troll anway. I'm bored

Micro- why are you so selfish that you cannot spare us the occasional use of the <enter> key? Why are you so stingy with paragraphs?

Yet you are so generous with your exclaimation marks and question marks??? Strange!!!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    ...example number 3. Somehow Hong Kong people have already decided for themselves that, what they call ”western people” as me are very, very, very rich.
    This is called a generalisation, akin to making the generalisation that Hong Kong people selfish.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast